 Trains / 24966
Re: 10170 TTX Intermodal Double-Stack Car Preview
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 4 May 2005 13:54:40 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:

B: European stock is becoming more harmogenised. The class 66 (an EMD product
btw http://www.deakmodellsport.hu/n/d11761_n.jpg) is spreading across Europe as
a favorite of the private freight hauliers,

Now, to me, that looks the part.

Agreed, would be a good official model I think.

This one not so much:

Well I like it but I don't think it would work as an official model. I included
it as an example of loco that is fairly widespread.

the Germans, Swiss and Austrians all
have varieties of the same electric locos (DB class 152
http://www.finnmoller.dk/rail-de/db152033.jpg)

I'd rather see a freight locomotive like this than an attempt to reproduce an
entire train of streamlined head, tail, and coaches.

Agreed, but the seperate vehicles concept can apply to passenger trains as well,
as with the Santa Fe. In the UK we have become so used to all passenger trains
being multiple units that we foget that both in the rest Europe and the world
there are still plenty of loco hauled trains (when was the last time you saw a
loco hauled passenger train ( I saw a 37+mk2s in Leeds but that was tailed by
another 37 forming a multiple unit really)
The block freight train is actually as boring (in a way) as a passenger multiple
unit, different wagons give variety, bring back the all stations pick-up goods!

The problem with any of them though is to pick a colour scheme that will have
appeal, when they vary so much from one region or company to another, never mind
country!

A problem that works the other way for 'normal' model railway manufacturers, the
more liveries the more mileage you get out of one moulding. However both the
Santa Fe and the BNSF are in one particular geographically limited livery and it
doesn't seem to be a problem.

Jason Railton

Tim