 Trains / 25024
Re: Nominations for a trainset poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 20:24:11 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   (SNIP) • A standalone loco set to be followed later by a maximum of TWO suitable rolling stock sets (these can be build-able as different variations as per the Santa Fe coaches).

• A complete train set consisting of no more than FOUR vehicles.

As we are speaking hypothetically you can assume that Lego produce a wheel suitable for steam locomotives (2) along the lines of the BBB wheels. Although you are not being asked to actually design the sets you should assume that they would be 6 wide to the standard Lego style so that may influence your decision.
As well as suggesting your favourites try to think of things that would make good sets with widespread appeal. What famous trains from other countries do you know of? Links to images of the real thing would be good too.

Once people have made their suggestions I’ll make a couple of polls.

Tim

Since the designers at TLC have so much more time than we do, and since I managed to build an LMS Garratt (2-6-0+0-6-2), I’m sure they can do a Big-Boy, assuming the current trend of North America being the biggest trains market. And yes, it does have to go round four curves together!!!

I think a Big boy might be a bit big for a Lego set (UCS trains anyone?) but I’ll include it anyway

I suggest 40mm pulleys for wheels, with the two 8-coupled sets of driving wheels suspended off the rails. The body could articulate to reduce overhang on the curves. Plenty of room for 2 motors in the tender, or one of them under the cab. Big Boys used to fast frieght trains of up to 3600 tons up a 1.14% gradient, but what type of freight was in the trains?

I think a 3-truck Shay would also make a lovely set: http://www.cassrailroad.com/images/num_2i.jpg A log wagon could go with it. I have a prototype chassis with BBB wheels and working transmission shafts, though the engine space is a bit of a squash!

For a train set, Flying Scotsman in light green, with 3 chocolate brown and cream coaches. Possibly 2 tenders for the US market since, when on tour in the US, it took an extra water tender due to the sparsity of watering facilities across the pond. This also makes it easy to have 2 train motors, one under each tender.

Shouldn’t that be either all brown (or tan) for teak coaches or cream and green?

Tim
   Mark