 Technic / 4767
Re: Call me a Lego pureist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:37:38 GMT

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Jennifer Clark (<3AED4F3D.37EA4C7D@vulture.dmem.str
ath.ac.uk>) wrote at 11:40:45

Tony Priestman wrote:

If they didn't make so many bad pieces that they can *only* find
'creative' uses for, the sets would have more useful parts that *we* can
be creative with.

I have wondered about this occasionally, as admittedly I have yet to find
any use for these parts in my own creations, but I most often end up
thinking it is due to my mindset being locked in the "old ways" rather than
the parts being deficient. It also took a while for me to get used to the
liftarms, half beams and so on when I emerged from the "dark ages" a year
or so ago, so perhaps given time I will find uses for these new parts too.

Ahh, but traditionally, the old ways are the best ways ;-)

From a psychological point of view, it's probably easier to imagine that
a uniform brick has a different form, than it is to imagine that a thing
with a definite shape is something else. (IANAP :-)

That crane truck, or whatever it's supposed to be, was probably the set
that brought my Technic buying to a halt.

Shame that, while I will admit the set has its dubious points, technically
it is impressive in a very sublime way; I found that it grew on me over
time. The chassis, for example, is very well done and I imagine the crane
arm would have taken a lot of work to get right. Of course, sublime
technicality is not for everyone :-)

Think of the NASA space pen & the Russian pencil. I'm a pencil man :-)

The appearance of the Moxy alternative model is fantastic though, IMHO.

Jennifer

--
Tony Priestman