 Technic / 4679
Re: Call me a Lego pureist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:45:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dave Forrest writes:
Bah!

???

I wish LEGO would just release the 8880 SuperCar and the SpaceShuttle for 2001.

hell, just release the parts in a BAG, with no instructions.  (online only)

One word: Ebay.

R & D for new design ....... $0.00
Packaging .................. $0.05

You forget distribution

I bet they would the BEST SELLERS!

You think so? Maybe online, but it would still be a niche market (how many
Technic Lugnet users?). Lego produces very cool stuff, but it does so in
enormous quantities.

I understand your frustration, but mixing scales (your Lego needs with Lego
worldwide organizartional issues) might be misleading. Lego seems to target
mostly kids, in order to gain share in the toy market. And it is doing it in
part by splitting the Technic line into sublines with appeal to different
people. Unfortunately, the mechanics have suffered.

I strongly suspect that adult Technic users, even all adult Lego users are a
really small lot when you look at the global toy market demographics. Still,
there is the Mindstorms line (target: next generation of Technic and Train
users). Lego has done some pretty cool customer support in here (from
recognition to hacked alternatives to their software to the huge "creations"
section fo their site).

Personally, a set I'd like would be a pneumatic walker (I think functional
Technic sets without gears would be very cool).

And something that would worry me is to see the pneumatic pack disapear from
the Lego shop site ...