 Technic / 4688
Re: Call me a Lego purist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 04:25:52 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jonathan Wilson writes:
However there is one set of parts in the original post that I especially • hate:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/misc/misc_3.html

Come on, Lego, there must be a better way to add shape and form to models?

I too think these parts are garbage and I refuse to allow any more of them • into my
collection, however good the rest of the set may be.

I guess you have to be an old-school Technic collector to hate those, I rather
like them.  They are extremely effective on the 8448, for which they designed
apparently:

"Most of the Coventry concepts had body panels, but that didn't quite fit the
Lego Technic production brief: "We could never completely cover a Technic car.
But that was a problem, because body panels convey much of the emotion in any
car." says Ravn.
So that vital "emotion" had to be introduced by the back door. The Lego team
had to find a compromise that hinted at the shape the car would have if all the
body panels were in place, without actually fitting them, as that would obscure
those fantastic internals.
"They're small, but a lot of work went into working out where to put the panels
so it's easy to visualise how the car might look with a complete body,"
explains Ravn."
- http://web.ukonline.co.uk/medwards/autocar/autocar.html

Obviously Lego foresaw the concerns of the purists and labored to make panels
that were effective but not intrusive.  I think they succeeded.  Although I
must admit, the yellow prototype on page 4 of that article looks just as good
as the final version, and does it without the panels.

Are the Technic sets moving in the form-over-function direction?  Well, yes.
Not entirely, but certainly the concern for form is there now where it wasn't
before.  And why not?  That's were everything else is headed (witness the
iMac or the new VW Beetle), Lego is just trying to stay caught up.  Old-school
purists aren't the only people that buy these sets.

Not expecting to have convinced anybody,
   Ray Kremer