 Technic / 4721
Re: Call me a Lego pureist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Steven Lane writes:
(I think K'nex is foisted by shop assitants onto feeble minded senile
grandparents as a gift for their grandchildren, who else would buy it!)

For $99, you can buy an 8x4 foot roller coaster or a 5 foot tall Rube
Goldbergian ball machine.  (I have both, and they're both quite cool)  K'Nex
definitely has it's pros, especially for large constructions.  And the parts
are even more of a pain to separate than LEGO :)

Or $35 each, at after-Christmas sales. :) :)

Actually, one thing that K'nex (the company) is doing right is to reissue
their 'classic sets'.  The Roller Coaster and the Big Ball Factory reappear
on store shelves every year, right around Christmas.  No R&D investment for
the company, people keep buying them, the product gets a "wow, cool"
presense in the stores, and big builders get a decent supply of parts for a
discount.  Why hasn't LEGO figured this one out?

--
Steve Bliss
Still gotta send away for those Ferris Wheel instructions, man.