 Technic / 4704
RE: Call me a Lego pureist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:58:38 GMT

Ralph wrote:

<snip>....Znap was another radical new direction, and those failed.

ZNAP was LEGO? I thought that it was just a way to disguise
the gear motor, battery box, and flex-shafts in a discount aisle....

Seriously though, I think that ZNAP was not quite throught out
in terms of integration with Technic. I still think that ZNAP
will evolve and be re-issued in crane and structural sets....

I think ZNAP was an exciting departure for Lego. I am only sorry to
see it effectively withdrawn before it had a chance. And I hope, like
Ralph appears to, that it may not have been the end.

If you compare todays ZNAP parts with original Lego bricks and see
how far Technic has come, imagine what the same creative part's
designers could do with the ZNAP idea. All sorts of interesting new
parts and joiners and perhaps an easier way to get into the 3D
dimension. I think the positive interlocking provided by ZNAP as
evidenced by the sore fingers when taking stuff apart might lead
to some very interesting mechanical possibilities in robotics type
applications which are not so easy with "normal" technic parts.

JB