 Technic / 4695
Re: Call me a Lego pureist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 10:13:59 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ray Kremer writes:
And since Lego hasn't cut back on making real Technic sets,
there's room for the techbots in the Lego universe.

I'm not sure that's true. If you ask me the efforts put into creating
Slizer/Bionicles/whatever are to a large extent on the expense of decent
Technic sets.
Just look at the leading models of the last decade:
1988: <set:8865>, <set:8855>
1989: <set:8862>
1990: <set:8094>
1991: <set:8856> (a bit week as a leading model, but we also had the idea book
<set:8891>)
1992: <set:8868>
1993: <set:8082>, <set:8872>
1994: <set:8880>
1995: <set:8485>, <set:8460>
1996: <set:8480>
1997: <set:8479>, <set:8459>
1998: <set:8462>
1999: <set:8448>
2000: ????
The only Technic sets we had in 2000 were:
<set:8279>, <set:8457>, <set:8458> and the Star Wars sets <set:8000>,
<set:8001> and <set:8002>.   (not counting all the sets in the super-juniorized
sub themes)
While the Silver Champion, Destroyer Droid and <set:8001
Battle Droid> are nice sets they can't be compared technically wise to the
leading sets in the previous years.
If you take out the Star Wars sets (that might be considered as part of the
Star Wars effort rather than the Technic effort) you are really left with a
pathetic production for the last year.

TLC is under a lot of financial pressure in the last couple of years. I don't
think they did massive hiring for the Mindstorms [1]  and Bionicles lines.
Therefor it's a fair assumption that the people and budgets for those lines
came mainly out of the Technic line.
I sure hope I'm wrong and I also think that there are good signs for this year
(well, maybe just one sign: <set:8466>) but that's left to be seen.

- David

[1] Mindstorms is a great line, but it's not the same as Technic and I don't
think it should replace it. For someone like me that deals a lot with computers
in everyday life I think there is a greater need for something that is purely
mechanical and doesn't involve programming (Although I enjoy Mindstorms as
well)