 Technic / 4702
Re: Call me a Lego pureist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:26:33 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Micah J. Mabelitini writes:
Ray Kremer wrote:

If you buy a Throwbot you should expect a Throwbot, not parts for your crane • MOC.

Doesn't that go against the very nature of LEGO? If you can't use the
parts to build anything but the original Throwbot model they came with
(or a Throwbot MOC), then what business do these ultra-specialized parts
have being treated like part of the LEGO system in the first place? You
might as well say, "if it's not pictured on the box then you have no
business building it".

Yeah, actually it does.  The techbots are more like Lego-spinoffs than actual
Lego sets.  Not-Lego sets that happen to be made by Lego corp. I don't think
Lego themselves minds that though.  They wanted to see if they could be
successful with sets that go in a radical new direction, and guess what, they
were.  Znap was another radical new direction, and those failed.  I understand
perfectly why people are unappreciative of these new directions, but you can't
restrict Lego from never trying new things just because you happen to like
things the way they are now.  That's not how businesses work.