 Technic / 4667
Re: Call me a Lego purist if you will but...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:45:27 GMT

While I agree that the Technic sets of late are slightly dumbed down from
previous advanced sets I don't think we can condemn TLG as a whole.  It
seems that the ingenuity that went into sets like 8880 is now being spent on
Mindstorms.  And you have to admit that the whole Mindstorms concept
completely blows away the complexity in sets like 8880 and 8480, among others.

And while I agree that Throwbots and Bionicle are not Technic and that I
want more BIG BLACK BEAMS!! thank you, I do like some new parts, like the
long studless beams:

http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=32278

Not every part has to have studs.

However there is one set of parts in the original post that I especially hate:

http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/misc/misc_3.html

Come on, Lego, there must be a better way to add shape and form to models?

IMHO,
Bob

In lugnet.technic, Andrew Bissell writes:
Any guesses on how much money The Lego Group would make, overnight! if they
re-released the JCB set, the old red tractor or the original test car or
indeed any of the many other fantastic technic sets there used to be?

I used to have these sets as a young lad but as you do when your young you
play with something till it breaks or goes missing or finds itself tied to
the back of your grifter (bike).  Now I am an older lad and I have a lot of
spare cash every month from a very good job.  TLG are you listening.  Why
don't you spend the next 4 years re-releasing one older set every month.
Additionally to making us oldies happy all those who were not around at the
time can now have the great pleasure of beams with bumps.

I imagine people have posed this question in the past so have The Lego Group
ever made a statement as to why they won't re-release sets.  Have they ever
said 'well you see we just don't like making money'.

Do others want the old sets re-released, do you think it would be worth
starting a web campaign, is there an e-mail address we could all bombard
asking the same thing?  Should we phone Greenpeace?

Best Regards

Andrew
http://www.andrewbissell.com

In lugnet.technic, Scott Sanburn writes:
To All,

We need a new group, lugnet.technic.hateallsetssince1998

I can understand people who don't go for the
action-figury sets, they are
pretty darn untraditional for Lego, but to disregard all
these fun sets just
because they aren't all boxy?

Well, speaking as someone who is seeing decline of sets in
all themes, from town to TECHNIC sets, I think I can
understand the frustration. Throwbots and Bionicles are not
really what I think of as TECHNIC sets, and th econtinuing
development of sets of this nature makes me wonder of the
direction that TLC seems to be making. Sometimes it looks
liek they see light, other times not.

As for fun, it depends on who the user is. I thought
Throwbots were boring, and Bionicles don't do anything for
me either. But thats me.

Scott S.