 Robotics / RCX / legOS / *3444 (-100)
  Re: Setup sensor type using LegOS Commands Reference 1.0-0.2.4

There is a tutorial no ? nanobapt (...) (21 years ago, 14-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Setup sensor type using LegOS Commands Reference 1.0-0.2.4

Dear all, Can you please tell me how I can select a sensor type using the LegOS Commands Reference 1.0-0.2.4? Regards Alkis (21 years ago, 13-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: some measurements in lnp, please comment!

"Brian B. Alano" <alano@bloomington.in.us> wrote in message news:HL30D6.1rDC@lugnet.com... (...) practical (...) assume 50% (...) think anything (...) I'm not familiar with LNP, but I do have a good handle on infra-red messaging in general. There (...) (21 years ago, 12-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: some measurements in lnp, please comment!

(...) Old thread, but oh, well. 4800 baud is 4800 bits per second or 600 bytes per second. If you assume 50% overhead, which is optimistic, that's 300 bytes per second. So I think anything over 200 bytes per second is pretty good. (21 years ago, 12-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RE: leJOS & BricxCC news

John, Thanks for continuing to work on this. It's one of the things that keeps me motivated to continue supporting pbForth. Now, there has not bee much traffic there lately, and I have not done much with it becuase as far as I know, things are "just (...) (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: trouble compiling brickOS

(...) Hm, that should not happen. Try to start your hitachi compiler by hand, for example with "h8300-hms-gcc --version" to get an "I am alive" message from it, so you are sure it is installed as intended. If _you_ can't get it to work, configure (...) (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: leJOS & BricxCC news

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, Mark Riley wrote: [snipped] (...) I have incorporated the changes made to firmdl in the leJOS distribution into my BricxCC firmware downloader code. Now I can successfully download all the firmwares I have access to (...) (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: trouble compiling brickOS

(...) I did! (...) It did complain and I did install the hitachi 8300 gcc version. Funny thing, after installing it, the configure script was still complaining that it cannot find the hitachi gcc compiler, although the binaries were right there in (...) (21 years ago, 5-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: trouble compiling brickOS

(...) Run ./configure!!! (...) Let me guess: You use the original c compiler of your linux distribution. May be that configure will complain that it does not find the gcc compiler? You run Linux on a Intel box. Your normal gcc will compile c to (...) (21 years ago, 3-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  trouble compiling brickOS

Hi! I am pretty new to lego and I started for a few days to make my rcx work under Linux. After I passed all the makefile issues, gcc 3.3 mlsl problems, I still get this error from memcpy.c: make[1]: Entering directory (...) (21 years ago, 3-Sep-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Maths functions

Make my day. "nanobapt" <nanobapt@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:3F50F04C.204090...adoo.fr... (...) have (...) (21 years ago, 31-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Maths functions

(...) That's nor really difficult ... nanobapt (21 years ago, 30-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Maths functions

Natural log (ln), and square root. Also useful would be x^y where x and y have fractional parts. I see you have done it with just x as a float and y as an int. This would incorporate the square root by doing x^1/2 "nanobapt" <nanobapt@wanadoo.fr> (...) (21 years ago, 30-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Maths functions

(...) What do you need more than I wrote ? nanobapt (21 years ago, 30-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Maths functions

I've posted an enhancement request on the sourceforge website for someone to write a full math.h. I would do it myself but my programming skills aren't very good. Your math.h looks like a good start. Hopefully someone will build on that. Thanks for (...) (21 years ago, 30-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Maths functions

(...) (URL) (21 years ago, 29-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Maths functions

I'm having trouble finding a maths header file. It's usually called "math.h". I need to do stuff like sine and cosine, and use the "abs" function to make a number positive. Does a file like this exist? Are there any plans to incorporate a maths (...) (21 years ago, 29-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Threads within threads

(...) Have you tried to run this code? I wonder what will happen "in real life". Actually, main will start monkey and cow as fast as possible. I think this will crash your stack after a short while. Regards, Michael (21 years ago, 29-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Threads within threads

Is it possible to use threads within threads? In the example below (with all 6 threads having different priority levels), how does the priority setting of each thread affect it being executed earlier than other threads? I mean, I assume that thread1 (...) (21 years ago, 27-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Tom, What is this two-day workshop on RCX code that you mentioned? Ed (21 years ago, 20-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Christoph, No, I have not yet solved the problem, but I intend to get back on it soon. I've been busy the past week preparing to present a two-day workshop on RCX Code. Now back to BrickOS (if I can get it working). What a change of gears! Let (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: gcc-3.3 - multi-line string literals

Thanks for the patch....but... Sorry to be such a NOOB but...how does one go about using this patch? I've gotten things to compile/make, generating .srecs and .lx's but sick and tired of scrolling through those deprecated multiline warnings. I'll (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

.... (...) Hi Tom, I've exactly the same error coming up istalling brickOS 0.2.6.10 or 0.2.6.9 and cygwin 1.3.22 on an WinME machine. If I delete the code in random.c make hangs up at the next file... Did you fix the problem already?? Christoph (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Errors compiling BrickOS Demos

(...) ... (...) Binutils, from 2.12 (IIRC) up to 2.13.1 produced malformed symbolsrec files. Use a later version of binutils. Max. (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Errors compiling BrickOS Demos

Hi, I'm trying to get brickos working on a linux box running mandrake. I downloaded gcc-2.95.3 and binutils-2.13.1 and compiled them to make a cross compiler. That seems to have worked successfully. Then I ran ./configure;make to make brickos (...) (21 years ago, 19-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS on Mac OS X

(...) Dave, We look forward to hearing how these tools work out for you. You should try Michael Zapp, (URL) about the USB applications. Ed (21 years ago, 16-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Question about mm.C in BrickOS

Thanks to both of you, I was pretty close to my understanding of it, but I did not know about the "new block creation behind the current block" but it makes sense now, if I have any other question (I am sure I will) I will def. ask. Thanks again, (...) (21 years ago, 14-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: USB/Serial Converter

Somewhere on the LEGO site it says that Serial > USB is not compatable -- If you must, why not just buy a USB IR tower from PITSCO LEGODacta for $30? If you have the SDK 2.5, or even the SDK 2.0, it comes with the driver for the USB tower (in the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS on Mac OS X

Man, this is fantastic. Since moving over to OS X about a year and a half ago, I've been ignoring my RCX (retired the tired/crash prone PC forever!! Running Linux now though) and haven't played with it for lack of a development environment for OS X. (...) (21 years ago, 13-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Question about mm.C in BrickOS

Hi, (...) Ptr points to the length byte of the first free block (...) *(ptr-1) actually is MM_FREE and is now set to the callers id. (...) Now we can do two things: We could grab all memory we found in this block or we could allocate only the memory (...) (21 years ago, 13-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Question about mm.C in BrickOS

(...) <snip> (...) I've never looked at brickOS code, but here is my take: By the time you hit line 2, you've found a free block that is big enough. Line 2 sets the owner of the block. Line 5 decides if the block is oversized enough to split. Line 6 (...) (21 years ago, 13-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Question about mm.C in BrickOS

Hey My Senior Preoject where I update BrickOS is slowly taking shape (I am actually trying to do some now, but time is very limited). This project I am editing the Memory Managment Alg used by BrickOS. the first one I am going to add is Next Fit, it (...) (21 years ago, 13-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) If you download the packages you can install from the previously downloaded packages without ever having to go to a mirror. In theory, at least, you shouldn't have to go back to the web unless you want a newer version of one or more of the (...) (21 years ago, 12-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) O.K. I will try a re-install of Cygwin, although I have re-installed at least four times previously. As I say, I get a little farther each time. Maybe this time I can find all the packages at one mirror. As Ed does, I also download and install (...) (21 years ago, 12-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) I am inclined to agree with Ed. I think your cygwin install is fouled up somehow. Can you check the version of the cygwin1.dll in your cygwin bin directory? I'm running 1.3.12-1 (which is a fairly old version). John Hansen (21 years ago, 11-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Tom, Max, I have seen the "Permission Denied" message before. I ussually get this error message after I have done some upgrading Cygwin packages or installling new parts, etc. The best answer I have (and the one I use) is to reinstall Cygwin. (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Odd. I don't understand where that "Permission denied" message came from. What happens if you simply run "less"? Does less work on any files at all? Perhaps you would like to take this to the Cygwin mailing list (cygwin@cygwin.com). (I (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Max, Here's one of your suggestions, and the cygcheck.out file is in the email (the check is in the mail) ;) Most of this is greek to me; it's been a long time since I've been able to deal with a Unix system. Tom Pugsley ===...=== (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) If you use "./configure && make", then make will only run if ./configure completes successfully. (...) ... (...) This suggests that your compiler is broken. Personally, I have never used the prebuilt compiler from Hitachi, preferring to (...) (21 years ago, 9-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

Ed, John, and Max, (et.al.?), Here's the output from one of my sessions. I started to follow some of John's instructions (got through the make strip alright, even though it's unnecessary), but I didn't want to go too deep until you people see the (...) (21 years ago, 8-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LNP under Cygwin(Windows)

Hi everyone, Me again.Does anyone know how I can get LNP to work under Cygwin(Windows)? Most of the documentation I've found make references to Linux. I'm planning to use LPD for communication between 2 RCXs. Has anyone tried that yet using LNP (...) (21 years ago, 7-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Ball Passing between RCX Robots

Hello everyone, I'm currently fooling around with my Mindstorms to get two RCX robots to ball pass between them. As there are only 3 inputs on RCX, I've used 1 for ball sensing, 1 for a touch sensor(to feel for the ball) and 1 which I'm planning to (...) (21 years ago, 7-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) My favorite means of grabbing the commands I type and their output is to set the buffer size of my DOS window to something very large and just select the text with my mouse via click and drag. Then I right click in the DOS window to copy the (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) Tom, You can always use the classic pipe to command, >. For example $ make strip > output.txt But I don't think this dumps any error messages to the file; only to the screen. So I would try something similar to the commands in buildgcc.sh, (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

Thanks, Max, John, and Ed for your help. I will try some of the suggestions this afternoon after work. I will also post some more helpful output if someone will remind me how to port Cygwin output to a text file (and DOS output?) I read the command (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: sys_time not working

It works! My mistake was that i only checked the "Command Reference" link that obviously refers to a previous version of legOS. So thank you very much. See you at the Olympic Games in our city Athens . "John Hansen" <JohnBinder@aol.com> wrote in (...) (21 years ago, 6-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: sys_time not working

(...) Use get_system_up_time() instead (as modified below). #include <conio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <time.h> #include <tm.h> #include <dsensor.h> #include <dmotor.h> long int t1,t2,t; int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { ......... ........ (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  sys_time not working

Hi i install successfully brickOS-0.2.6.10 under Win2000 without any problems and ran successfully "helloworld.lx" I created one first elementary small program using the sys_time function. The problem is that it doesn't compile correctly. The (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

[SNIP] (...) [SNIP] Tom, I would follow Max's advice about posting your commands and output here. But one thing that might cause issues with your setup is your path. It looks like the windows dos commands (C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND) come before your cygwin (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) I would not try to follow both of these instructions. Pick one and do just exactly what that set of instructions says to do. My favorite, naturally, is the second set (since getting the right set of GCC source code and compiling it without (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

(...) PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\W...IN\H8300-0 00821\H-I686-CYGWIN32\BIN; (...) OK, the best way to get help is: * Start with the *first* problem which occurs. Problem #3 is very likely the cause of #1 and #2. * Show *exactly* the commands you typed and (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems

Hello, I have spent several hours trying to install BrickOS on my Windows ME system. I am a novice with C/Cygwin/linux, so have been diligently searching the Lugnet posts for clues. That has gotten me a little farther each day, but now I am _really_ (...) (21 years ago, 5-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Problems with BrickOS installation

(...) I would recommend using the pre-built Hitachi tools which are still available from my BricxCC website. (URL) simpler than trying to download all the right versions of the GCC source code. John Hansen (21 years ago, 4-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Problems with BrickOS installation

Hi, I'm following these directions explicitly: (URL) installed just fine. When I run buildgcc.sh it dies trying to assemble libgcc1.S. The comments at the top of the file cause syntax errors. The comments are dilineated with ";;". How can the (...) (21 years ago, 3-Aug-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

(...) Then this is the first time ;) It was indeed the compiler. Using those versions you named in your message, my compiled brickOS.srec file works as well. The lr_startup and lr_shutdown calls don't make any difference, whether they are in or out. (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

(...) Great. (...) I use h8300-hms-gcc-3.1-1.i386.rpm h8300-hms-binutils-2...1.i386.rpm but I never heard from anyone that some gcc version produces a bad brickOS system. Strange, indeed. Regards, Michael (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

Hi Michael, Thank you for sending me your brickOS.srec and .lds files. When I use these ones, the remote control works just fine, with or without the lr_startup and lr_shutdown calls, and with or without a running program. (...) Yes, exactly. I have (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

"Michael Obenland" <obenland@t-online.de> wrote in message news:HIqqFv.1Iwz@lugnet.com... (...) starting (...) I think the call to lr_shutdown() in Christian's program clobbered things such that the remote may no longer be useable unless the power (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

(...) Strange. To get it clear: If you download a fresh made brickOS.srec, you can't use the remote control to start a motor or start a program and if you press the beep-key, the rcx does not beep?? Does your remote work with the original Lego (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Try removing the calls to lr_startup() & lr_shutdown(). I think these already get called outside of your program. (Sorry, don't have time to test right now). Mark "Christian Hornung" <c-hornung@gmx.de> wrote in message news:HIq2o2.Ht4@lugnet.com... (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

(...) No, it doesn't. The IR indicator flickers, but running motors or starting the program doesn't work. In fact, I didn't know that there is a "default handler" until reading your message. Might the problem be caused by wrong versions of gcc or (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

(...) I compiled your program and it did everything. No problem on my side. If you don't start your program, does the remote control work? Attach a motor at A, B and C and try to run it with the remote. Or try to run your program with the P1 button. (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

Hi Michael, Thank you very much for your answer. Well, there isn't really much source, here we go: #include <conio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <remote.h> #include <dsensor.h> int my_lr_handler(unsigned int etype, unsigned int key) { cputw(key); (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: LEGO remote controller problem

Hi Christian, (...) No program, no help. If you send me the sources, I will take a look and try to figure out the problem. In fact, I use the remote control without a problem. Regards, Michael (21 years ago, 27-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  LEGO remote controller problem

Hi, I have problems getting the LEGO IR remote controller to work (using brickOS 0.2.6.10). I wrote a small test program that installs a lr handler function which simply displays the received key value on the LCD. But when running this and pressing (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Missing .lx files

(...) helloworld.o (...) symbolsrec (...) helloworld.o (...) symbolsrec (...) ^^^...^^^ Did you think about investigating this error? Anyway, the version of binutils you are using is broken. Upgrade. (...) helloworld.dc1 (...) character" (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Missing .lx files

I have no .lx files in ../brickos-0.2.6.10/demo ! What I have done: 1. Looked for .lx in "demo": [ville@ville demo]$ ls c++/ c++.cpp helloworld.c helloworld.o linetrack.c Makefile robots.c rover.c rover.o sound.c trailerbot.c [ville@ville demo]$ 2. (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  dll problem added

I forgot to mention that i am working under Linux Red-Hat 7.3. (21 years ago, 23-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  dll problem

Hi i am currently working on legOS and i installed brickOS-2.6.10 successfully and downloaded the kernel to the RCX without problems. However when i tried to download the helloworld program with dll an error occured "error deleting program". I used (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: memcpy.c missing terminating " character

I had some problems sending the original messages before I went to vacation for 10 days... When I came home, I fixed the problem and did send: memcpy.c missing terminating " character BTW, I would like to write programs in C++. Greetings from (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  memcpy.c missing terminating " character

Hello! First: Im pretty new into Linux/unix as a sysadmin! I have installed gcc as a cross gcc (h8300): Here is what happens when I "make" the BrickOS-0.2.6.10: ###...### [root@ville lego]# tar zxvf brickos-0.2.6.10.tar.gz brickos-0.2.6.10/ (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Problems with USB Tower

look at the patch here: (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Please Help?! Problems with installing LegOS on WinXP

You might try following my instructions: (URL) recommend using the pre-built hitachi tools which you can download via the link in the document referenced above. Let me know if you have any questions. John Hansen (URL) (21 years ago, 19-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Please Help?! Problems with installing LegOS on WinXP

(...) Tyler, You can check to see what Cygwin packages have been installed on your system by using the cygcheck command at the cygwin command prompt. Try cygcheck -c If the output is too large for your dos window you can export it to a file by using (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Please Help?! Problems with installing LegOS on WinXP

(...) If you haven't installed 'make', there is *no way* you successfully built the compiler. If you go back to the URL you quoted, you will see make is listed as one of the required Cygwin packages to install. Re-run Cygwin setup.exe, install make, (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Please Help?! Problems with installing LegOS on WinXP

(...) Hi Ed, Thanks for replying. In (URL) Hitachi H8 cross-compiler was built in: c:\cygwin\build I'm assuming that's where it is. Also, what is the "make" command? Bash in cygwin cant seem to find it. Thanks Tyler. (21 years ago, 19-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Please Help?! Problems with installing LegOS on WinXP

(...) [SNIP] (...) Tyler, Where is compiler executable located on your system? Ed (21 years ago, 19-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Please Help?! Problems with installing LegOS on WinXP

Hi, Can anyone please, please help me with the installation of LegOS on my WinXP laptop? I have followed the instructions in "brickOS 0.2.6.10 Instructions for installing in WinXP" at (URL) to the letter but I still can't seem to get LegOS to run. (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Problems with USB Tower

Hi there, I got a problem running my USB-Tower on Linux. I installed the LegoUSB-driver and it seems to work (i see it in /var/log/messages when i plug it in). But when i run firmdl3 i get the following message: /dev/usb/lego0: not a tty I tried it (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Zooming in robolab, printing in RCX

Is there any way to zoom into the icons in robolab, they are a bit tiny and I wanted to know if I could make them look bigger so its easier to see. Also does the RCX Code (or RIS program that comes with the mindstorms kit) have the capability to (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jul-03, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.faq, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab)

  Re: Install problems on Linux RedHat 9

(...) You should stay with this version if you don't want to use C++. (...) This is the newest compiler, I think. The problem with this is that the famous "multi line string literals" are not working any more. Mlsl have been marked as deprecated in (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Install problems on Linux RedHat 9

(...) ... (...) ... Yes, no one has ported the C++ bits of brickOS to work with gcc3. Use gcc2, or restrict yourself to plain C. (...) ... (...) Yes, gcc3.3 removed support for multi-line string literals. The brickOS committers all seem to be rather (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Install problems on Linux RedHat 9

Hi, I tried to install brickos-0.2.6.10 and have been unsuccessful. I started by going to rpmfind.net to get the h8300 binutils and gcc. The versions were: h8300-hms-binutils-2.11.2-1 h8300-hms-gcc-3.0.1-2 The brickos make failed with the following: (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  USB/Serial Converter

Hi, folks. I've tried to connect to my RCX 1.0 (firmware 0328) from my laptop. Since I have only a serial IR tower, it works fine on my desktop PC, but communications won't work when I use a USB/serial converter to connect it to my laptop (there (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

(...) (how the manual says to do data)? That's because I don't like to type more than is necessary! :-) Take this line for example: mov.b #0x02:8,r0h This line is doubly redundant. The destination operand is an 8-bit register so the other qualifiers (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

Ok, the motor stuff makes sense, I got a little confused with the shift thing. I looked at the proggamming manual some more and it explaned the @ (Register inderect) but I don't see why it is needed, also in you example you specify the data as (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

A direct link to the page with the documents is (URL) Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr> (URL) rot 13 "fr" "se" (21 years ago, 17-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

(...) You should look at Kekoa Proudfoots documentation of RCX internals ((URL) and his librcx library to understand the calling convention for the ROM. Then get yourself the H8300 tools (gcc et al) somewhere, this includes assembler and (...) (21 years ago, 16-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

(...) mentioned previously) that describes the on chip I/O features of the H8 if you plan on doing any work with the sensors. (...) to (...) that (...) To turn on motor C forward you would do this: mov #0x02,r0h mov r0h,@0x80:8 The second (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

Cool, thanks I was able to find the doc here: (URL) post about the motor seems helpful, so if I understand right the way to run motor A forward would be "mov 0x030003,r0h mov 0x80,r0h" and for the motor C the same except 0x06? How does the (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

Here's a more direct link for the H8 docs: (URL) down to the literature section and download the two PDFs. For assembly, I would recommend starting off with an installation of BrickOS and perusing the various source code files for the kernel. You'll (...) (21 years ago, 16-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Programming in Assembly

(...) find the old documentation files is a bit tricky, it took me some time to figure them out. Anyway, take a look at: (URL) look at the product list. Regards, Michael (21 years ago, 16-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Programming in Assembly

I was interested in writing some assembly code for the lego mindstorm, I don't plan on writing an incredibly complex program though. I am learning asm for the z80 chip so I have a little experience. I only want a single threaded application with one (...) (21 years ago, 16-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code

Thanks Joe, it makes sense now and I understand it is something that is difficutl to explain esp, through a message board. Thanks for helping me out... Mike (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code

Here is a visual representation: [ KERNEL ]mm_start[ HEAP ] The heap will contain ALL of the following: User Programs, User Allocated memory, Kernel allocated memory (not including static/global variables and constants). The only thing that is prior (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code

(...) Thanks for the description Joe, but in the above paragraph you seem to contradict yourself, you say that mm_start is the end of kernel mode, but alos that user programs are located above mm_start I do not understand that part, did you mean (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code

Mike, IIRC, mm_start is the beginning of the heap. When the system or a user program requests memory (new in C++ or malloc/calloc in C) the memory is taken from this block (from mm_start to the end of memory) What might be confusing is how the (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code

Thanks to all with the help, I finally got my new News setup info (my original login wasnt working so I had to re-sign up but it took about 2 weeks to hear from lugnet, so Charlie posted some stuff for me). I am looking at mm.c for my project and I (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS motor-output: Subject to change?

Do you use another firmware downloader besides firmdl3? Recent changes to BrickOS changed the memory layout a bit and this could be an issue. For example, I just discovered that the nqc firmware downloader doesn't like firmware files with (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: BrickOS motor-output: Subject to change?

Hi, I remember. I have tried brickOS 0.2.6.10 but I had problems with downloading the firmware. I was unable to get the new kernel into the RCX. I do not have this problem with 0.2.6.9. Thanks, Dietmar (...) [...] (...) [...] (21 years ago, 14-Jul-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact