 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3393
3392  |  3394
Subject:
BrickOS installation with WinME and Cygnus problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 10:36:03 GMT

Hello,
   I have spent several hours trying to install BrickOS on my Windows ME system.
I am a novice with C/Cygwin/linux, so have been diligently searching the Lugnet
posts for clues.  That has gotten me a little farther each day, but now I am
_really_ stuck.  I am following the web pages "brickOS 0.2.6.10 Instructions for
installing on
Win9x/NT/2000/XP" by Paolo Masetti, and "brickOS step-by-step with cygwin" by
(I'm not online and can't check it.)

I've got Cygwin 1.3.22-1 installed.  I installed BrickOS 0.2.6.10.  My Path
command looks like this:

PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\CYGWIN;C:\CYGWIN\BIN;C:\CYGWIN\H8300-000821\H-I686-CYGWIN32\BIN;

Problem #1 (really #314):
When I do "make strip" in /BrickOS/util, I get an error:

strip:  fontdesign.exe: no such file or directory
(From what I gather, this may not really be a significant problem?)

Problem #2:
When I type

./firmdl3  ../boot/brickOS.srec

it can't find the brickOS.srec.  It's not in the /boot directory.  I can't find
it anywhere.  What command produces brickOS.srec?

Aha! Problem #3:
When I run Make in the BrickOS directory, I get an error message about Random.c
having some undeclared routines.  Maybe this is causing all the following
"makes" to be skipped?  I am not enough of a C programmer yet to feel that I can
fix Random.c.

I'm so close to the RCX I can _taste_ it!  Any help would be much appreciated
and probably save my sanity.

Tom P.