 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3348
Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:35:10 GMT

Mike,

IIRC, mm_start is the beginning of the heap.  When the system or a user
program requests memory (new in C++ or malloc/calloc in C) the memory is
taken from this block (from mm_start to the end of memory)

What might be confusing is how the memory manager detects the end of
memory.  If your memory pointer is currently > mm_start, then you
increment the pointer and it is now < mm_start then you have reached the
end of memory (and wrapped to the beginning)

However, it is worth noting, mm_start is the end of the Kernel code.  So
mm_start is also used to determine if a piece of code is part of the
kernel or a user program.  User programs are located above mm_start
since the kernel will allocate memory for them when they are downloaded
(dll)

2) Kernel malloc and calloc > mm_start
3) User code is > mm_start (memory allocated by kernel using malloc or
calloc)
4) User malloc and calloc > mm_start
5) Memory Manager detects end of memory when ptr wraps from > mm_start
to < mm_start

Hope that helps.
// Joe

Michael Martelli wrote:

Thanks to all with the help, I finally got my new News setup info (my original
login wasnt working so I had to re-sign up  but it took about 2 weeks to hear
from lugnet, so Charlie posted some stuff for me).

I am looking at mm.c for my project and I see the variable mm_start and see that
it is defined in the mm.h file but I am not 100% sure of what it defines.

Is it:
a) the end location of the memory -- RAM (i.e. Limit + Base registers in an OS
like Windows or Umix)
b) or is it the where the user portion of RAM starts? (like the Base register in
a normal OS)

I am not sure and everytime I look more I think it is the other one, and not the
one I currently think it is

Thanks a lot and hope I do not annoy you by asking these question that may seem
easy but I cannot seem to understand this variable, even after looking over the
BrickOS site.

Mike