 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3327
Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:43:10 GMT

Charles Mancinelli wrote:

My friend and I are tring to modify the BrickOS memmory management for a
computer Science senior project.

If he wants to do this, he should better have a good understanding of
programming in C and Operation System design. Debugging an OS is a hard job.

We where under the impression that we could just change a file, then re- archive
it (into .tar format) and then we could re-build the new version of the
OS, but we are not sure how to do this. Any help would be great.

I am under the impression that you don't have any knowledge of how to
handle a UNIX style system. That is bad. You must have an idea how to
use make, how to edit a file (with vi, emacs or joe) and may be even how
to use a debugger.

My advice is: If your hard disk is big enough, that is if you have about
5 to 10 MB free, install Linux, buy a book (or read some introduction on
linux programming), try some "hello world" like easy programs with
multiple source files to get an idea of using make. Then install
brickOS, the cross compiler and start working. But knowing the basics of
UNIX would be esential. And using cygwin on top of DOS obscures the
things more because you have another possible area for making errors.

Regards,

Michael