 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3326
Re: Modifying the BrickOS source code
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 11:18:33 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Charles Mancinelli wrote:
Hey,

My friend and I are tring to modify the BrickOS memmory management for a
computer Science senior project. I am trying to help him out with it. We are
wondering if anyone can give us some information on how we can edit the source
code and then recompile it under the Cygwin enviornment. Does anyone know how we
should go about doing so?

We where under the impression that we could just change a file, then re- archive
it (into .tar format) and then we could re-build the new version of the
OS, but we are not sure how to do this.  Any help would be great.

Thanks

If you have installed and built the unmodified BrickOS then you are ready to go.
At the very end of the build after you built/instaled the cross compliter and
BirckOs source you executed a make command. When you did this you got a whole
bunch of output that looked (and was) compiler and linker commands. This process
built BrickOS. The make program builds applications based on a "makefile" which
describes what needs to be built and who depends on who. By "depends" I mean if
a programs is built from a particular "C" file then the program depends on the
file. The BrickOS download image will depend on the memory manager. So after
modifying the file just reenter the make command. You have to be in the same
directory you were in for the initial build (not the directory with the memory
manger file).

Modifying something as integral to the OS as the the memory manager can be a
problem because if it doesn't work you don't get any real feedback, the brick
justs sits there (but secretly its laughing).

A memory manager is just a set of functions that manage a data structure
(usually some type of linked list) within an array (e.g., memory). If the
managed memory base and length are parameters you can test your manager in a
program running under cygwin. For example, if the memory base was a #define
constant, you could define it to be a global variable for testing than then a
constant for the final version.

Someone was talking about a RCX simulator you might want to check this but it
probably does not enulate the RCX processor at the instruction level (maybe it
does)

Lester

PS: I have actually done this type of development for an embedded processor and
debugging in the embedded system is difficult. Some of the BrickOS developers
could comment on what tools they used.