 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14710
Re: Mating Game - moc up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:22:34 GMT

On 9/19/05, Chris Magno wrote:
John Guerquin wrote:

I'm with you Derek - the object of the contests is to come up with the best
and
most creative solution.  And the ring "bots" were definitely creative.
My take on this is that the ring bots were a little too close to Jeff E's
fish
sticker sumo bot.  And it was BOTH good and bad to see such a simple
creation
beat Dave's massive bot.
For a repeat of this contest, maybe we should stipulate that the bots need
some
type of propulsion, whether RCX, motor, wind-up motor, capacitor, etc.

how about gravity???

Remember, the the winning entry (as determined by the scoring system)
used this rubber band "powered" mechanism:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ffaat/RTL19/img_0677.jpg
to elevate and close the latch.  I knew that some felt this was
"cheap" (including myself), but honestly, it outperformed several
motor/batterybox based variants that, by using a motor box, were made
unnecessarily complex.  Gravity was another option (weighted lever),
but the rubber band was simpler and more effective.

You can't even say that "the best way to ensure that an RCX is used is
to design the contest around a task that requires one to do it" as
purely mechanical systems can perform pretty phenomenal tasks.
Personally I LIKE to see elegant mechanical solutions.

It's like at work.  We have an old analog computer (integrator and
time domain feed forward mechanism) for controlling a water level at
one hydroelectric complex.  This thing was designed and custom built
back in the 30's (or something), and continues to function as
designed, in a reliable fashion.  There have been three separate
attempts to replace it with a "modern digital control system", PLC,
microprocessor, or PC based systems.  None have been able to replace
the original design....yet.

So the best way to ensure RCX's are used in a contest are to ensure
the task required is EASIEST to do with an RCX.  And being inherently
lazy, most people will use an RCX.

The other thing to consider is the background of the person.

Ask a programmer/system engineer type what the hardest part of
building a (tradition) robot is, and they will say "the mechanical
design"

Ask a mechanic/mechanical engineer type what the hardest part of
building a (traditional) robot is, and they will say "the
programming".

Give this some thought: I googled for the definition of robot:
"A computer program that runs automatically. Two types of robots are
agents and spiders."

"In the technologically optimistic portion of the 20th century, robots
were intelligent anthropomorphic machines that understood human
speech, interpreted visual scenes, and manipulated objects in the real
world. In the technologically realistic 21st century, robots are
absurdly primitive programs"

"A mechanical device that resembles a living animal and moves
automatically or by remote control."

"A reprogrammable, multifunctional manipulator designed to move
materials, parts, tools, or specialized devices through variable
programed motions for the performance of a variety of tasks."

"a computer-controlled system that can explore and manipulate an
environment that is not part of the robot itself and is, in some
important sense, larger than the robot."

"a "reprogrammable multifunctional manipulator" (Robot Institute of
America). "Reprogrammable" in this definition means that a mechanical
arm must be computer-controlled to qualify as a robot."

"a reprogrammable, multifunctional, mechanical manipulator that
typically employs one or more means of power: electromechanical,
hydraulic, pr pneumatic."

So what do you consider a robot to be?

-Rob A>