 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14702
Re: Mating Game - moc up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:15:43 GMT

Unfortunately I couldn't make to 19, but I didn't see any designs that I
thought should be rejected.  The ring bots were an excellent concept,
but I expect they're the ones people most complained about.

I don't see anything wrong with a bot like this.  We hold contests where
there is a problem to be solved and you come up with what you think is
the best solution.

The ring bot is not a perfect solution.  Put two of them up against each
other and not much is going to happen.  Don't build it strong enough and
David's bot will plow right through you.

I was building a robot for the last block stacking contest that didn't
use an RCX.  Would you have disqualified me for that?  Unfortunately I
wasn't able to finish it in time, but properly tuned it would have done
quite well.

There are cases where we'd have to say, no, that's just too far outside
the spirit of the contest.  Like Jeff E's fish sticker sumo bot.  Very
funny, but...

I think the mechanical or battery box only designs are a very important,
and quite acceptable design strategies for our contests.

Derek

Well that’s true, like I said I don't mind creations like that, just heard a few
people make comments such as "is that a robot?" and such at rtl 19, so thought I
might suggest it.

Myself I have a few ideas that don't include an RCX either, and had quite a few
for rtl 19 too.

Its just that for a competition like this one, its a little more interesting to
see robots moving around and doing what they are suppose to, instead of just a
12" x 12" hopper, even thought that’s a very good strategy in its own way.

I guess we should just continue as usual and let people come up with what they
want, whether it includes an RCX or not, because I guess sometimes those
outperform the ones that do use one.

Will there be any specifications, regarding the colour or shape of the “hopper”?
or will that be left to the choice of the builder?

Vitali