 Off-Topic / Debate / 5133
Re: What is Scott saying now? Was: (Re: Wench as a word)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 21:43:52 GMT

Did you read the articles *I* gave links to? I didn't see any substantive
for the Christian Right with, isn't it?

++Lar

Larry,

The only links you gave in the "Wench" discussion were for the "Nazi" law and
the campus orientation.

I read the Godwin? Law re: the longer the thread the probablity of Nazi/Hilter
=1.

The campus orientation article didn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to
have bothered other people.  One of the things that makes New York City work so
well as a "melting pot" is that there is, for the most part, a respect for each
of the different cultures that exist here (I said respect for the culture.
Respect for a culture does not equate to racial tolerence).

While other major cities have seen the resurgence of "gangs", NYC has seen
little of that.  NYC is just too diversified as a culture.

Forcing students to think about other cultures, or how they would react to
being a member of a different culture, is not a bad thing.  Forcing them to
open their eyes to different cultures is nto a bad thing.  I certainly don't
agree with some of the methods used.  But the intent cannot, IMO, be faluted.

How can a society grow if you cannot relate that society and all (OK most) of
its members.

That said, how do the links provided connect to the current debate?