 General / 16637
Re: Wench as a word
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:15:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Markus Wolf writes:
   I have a question regarding the use of "wench" in conversation.  I always
have considered it a derrogatory term for females but see it used frequently
in Lugnet postings, especially Pirate Wench and Forest Wench.
   I know I've heard the term used in Warcraft and old movies but I'd hate to
use the term in normal conversation if it isn't appropriate.  Any comments?

To put a bit of historical context in...

A wench is just a term for a young woman, in 'medieval speak'.  It's not quite
polite,  but not exactly rude, either.  Kind of like using 'girl' in today's
society (or, depending on area, 'chick' or 'babe').  As an example, "That
wench over there" would have been perfectly acceptable, which "Wench, come
here" would either be perfectly acceptable, or mildly derogatory, depending on
context, and tone and so forth.

Have I muddied the waters enough?

James (the way too busy this week)