 Off-Topic / Debate / 19724
Re: I'm just going to take a back seat.... Re: You Can Lead A Horse To Water....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:49:26 GMT

<snip>

Thanks for this cite, David, it's interesting and thought provoking reading.

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=magazine.article&issue=soj0209&article=020910

The problem I have with the approach advocated is that, just like every
other approach, it isn't always the best choice.

Let's assume for this post that it's our problem to solve Iraq (I don't
think so, as you know). If so, what's the right approach? 12 years of
sanctions failed, badly. All they got was time for the regime to tighten the
security apparatus, time to rearm, and time for hundreds of thousands of
citizens to die. (not very non violent, was it?)

If you want to make the case that a non violent populace resistive the best
choice here, you've got a tough row to hoe, I think. One of the reasons I
feel it is NOT is the rather shameful way the US and other allies behaved
just after the cease fire... we left a lot of the groups that might well
have been willing to revolt out to dry, badly. Google for "marsh arabs" if
you want to read about it.

Further, how much time are you willing to wait? In some cases, the non
violent approach takes decades (the Soviet Union took 70+ years and a LOT of
violence and the will of a president to win an arms race) or centuries...

This should be required reading for all the gun-toting "Shoot first, ask
questions later" yahoos who think because they have the ability to shoot a
gun, that using one solves problems better than any other way.

Who are these people? Name them. I see none of that sort here. You're just
grandstanding. Stop.