 Off-Topic / Debate / 19426
19425  |  19427
Subject:
Why us? and if us, why this way?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 04:41:23 GMT

So I'm asking with all seriousness and no veil of ulterior motive--what do
we do?  Justice must prevail, if we are to hold to our own ideals.  How do
we achieve justice in this situation?

Why is it the job of the US to bring justice to the world?

http://www.nationalreview.com/hanson/hanson031403.asp

Don't always agree with Hanson but he's right this time. Even if you think
there's a moral obligation (that the US somehow has gotten stuck with ) to
right every wrong (which I do not! I go ONLY as far as saying we ought to
clean up the messes we made...) the way it is being gone about is wrong.

"Nothing is worse for a great power than to ask others far less moral for
permission to use its power; and nothing weakens a great power more than
intervening and intruding frequently but rarely decisively. Had we simply
ignored the U.N. — as Mr. Clinton did in Kosovo — and moved unilaterally
last fall (like Russia and France do all the time), Saddam Hussein would be
gone, and we now would have more impressed friends than we do disdainful
enemies. Instead, we await China's moral condemnation of our unilateral
action — this from a regime that in the last 50 years butchered more of its
own citizens than any government in the history of civilization, annexed
Tibet, invaded Korea and Vietnam, and threatened to annihilate Taiwan.
France hysterically alleges that we will harm the city of Baghdad in its
liberation, but is silent about the Russian destruction of Grozny in its
subjugation. And so on.

The American people are not naifs who yearn for isolationism, but they are
starting to ask some hard questions about the way we have been doing
business for 50 years, and it may well be time to grant the French,
Canadians, Germans, Turks, South Koreans, and a host of others their wishes
for independence from us: polite friendship — but no alliances, no bases, no
money, no trade concessions, and no more begging for the privilege of
protecting them."