 Off-Topic / Debate / 19382
Re: I'm just going to take a back seat.... Re: You Can Lead A Horse To Water....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 03:05:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

<snip>

What's really sick is that so many people think it is perfectly acceptable to
let millions of Iraqi people suffer, in fear of their lives, under a brutal
dictatorship, when we could easily free them.

http://www.newsday.com/media/cartoon/2003-03/6864060.jpg

-Mike Petrucelli

What's even sicker is equating wanting a peaceful solution to the Iraqi
situation to doing nothing at all.

War will kill Iraqi people.  "Easily free them"?  What?  from their lives on
earth?

What the heck are you talking about?  Unlike World War 2 we (any "Western"
country) do not carpet bomb cities anymore. The big Tomahawk cruise missles are
accurate to within half a meter, let alone the smaller missles.  Civilian
casualties would exist but they would likely be less than what Saddam would
otherwise kill during the next year anyway.

Sure, then war is the solution.  If you want to do something to help
the Iraqi people live better lives on this planet, however, then war isn't
the answer, it's actually sending in, wait for it--UN peacekeepers.

Do you honestly think Saddam would even be doing the irrelevent token gesture
of destroying a few obsolete missles if it were not for the 300,000
"peacekeepers" locked and loaded on his doorstep.

Canada,
having a pretty good history oof peacekeeping, it's surprising that I, a
Canadian, would be pro-peace and offering a helping hand to the people.

Again, I agree with everything the one person was saying in that cartoon--SH
is a bad man, he has done bad things--draw the line from there to the point
where war is the right, Just, and only solution.  This war isn't good for
the Iraqi people, this war isn't good for the economy, this war isn't good
for so many nations and people against it, this war isn't good for reducing
the terrorist threat...

So I have to ask, "Who would this war be good for?  Who would benefit from
this war?"

The people currently living in Iraq. You know the people that are executed for
questioning Saddam.  Or how about some of his troops that would likely
surrender because US Prisoners are fed and treated better than Iraqi soliders.
Thats what happened in 1990-1991.  Of course then their families were executed
for betrayal so maybe we should eliminate Saddam's ability to do that first.

I keep seeing the sign: "No war in Iraq, Save the Iraqi Children." So what is
it; "No war in Iraq" or "Save the Iraqi Children."?  I mean people how can
people be so delusional to think that Saddam will magically chage his ways
without a strong show of force.  Saddam and Al-queda probably do not have any
formal ties but the both share one common belief.  The "Western Powers" will be
too "soft" and "weak" to challenge them. A quick decisive victory would not
embolded Al-Queda, it would scare the crap out of them.  Osama Bin Laden,
according to his own writings did not belive the US would do anything after the
Trade Center attacks. Thats because we did nothing after many attacks against
targets all over the globe, that claimed nearly a thousand lives, over the ten
years preceeding the attacks. We were a "paper tiger." War Sucks. Ok? War
Sucks. We all know that. What we seem to be disagreeing on is that doing
nothing is worse. Diplomacy only works when the other side wants it too and
Saddam has proven time and again that diplomacy is merely a joke to him.

-Mike Petrucelli

P.S. I also think we should lock-up all the idiot politicians (including
Dubbya) whom want to try and outlaw protesting. That is a basic fundamental
right.  Of course the flip-side is, I also think we should lock-up all the
idiot protesters that think they are allowed to blocks streets and buildings,
effectively denying others the right to make their own decisions.