 Off-Topic / Debate / 19413
Re: I'm just going to take a back seat.... Re: You Can Lead A Horse To Water....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:08:11 GMT

Are you honestly trying to say that diplomacy is universally and always
unsuccessful in all cases everywhere on the planet?  That nothing has ever
been accomplished by diplomacy?  You may wish to modify your statement or at
least limit its sweeping nature.

Okay, I was thinking in terms of *major* global conflicts, such as war.  More
specifically, I'm looking for examples of diplomacy effectively dealing with an
aggressor (nation or entity).

JOHN

Cuban Missle Crisis.  Defused through diplomacy.

Huh??

Defused through us blockading Cuba and threatening to go to war if the
missiles weren't removed, then refusing to blink.

But we did blink, if not quite as hard and fast.  That's the whole point.
Both sides had escalated the confrontation to the point that neither saw a
way out, but continuing it was too horrifying for words.  Only through
diplomacy was the situation defused - historians usually credit Kruschev as
getting the better of the deal.  The value of more direct communication (for
diplomacy) was so obvious, that the Moscow-Washington hot-line was installed
as a direct result of the confrontation.

Oh, and while we're on that topic, I am reminded of how the French acted
then... they said "If you have evidence, that's good enough for us, we don't
have to actually see it, we take you at your word".

See what happens when there's a really big army that would be invading
France via Germany in the mix?

But then Bush is no Kennedy.

Given.  :-)

-->Bruce<--