 Off-Topic / Debate / 19433
Re: Why us? and if us, why this way?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:03:56 GMT

<snip>

The American people are not naifs who yearn for isolationism, but they are
starting to ask some hard questions about the way we have been doing
business for 50 years, and it may well be time to grant the French,
Canadians, Germans, Turks, South Koreans, and a host of others their wishes
for independence from us: polite friendship — but no alliances, no bases, no
money, no trade concessions, and no more begging for the privilege of
protecting them."

Canada is in this list?

This is why I disdain American political hacks (of course I distain Canadian
political hacks as well... ;) ).

I don't recall Canada ever 'begging' protection from the US.  I don't recall
Canada ever 'begging' for trade concessions, and American bases in Canada?

Hack

Dave K