 Off-Topic / Debate / 19435
Re: Why us? and if us, why this way?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:52:55 GMT

"Nothing is worse for a great power than to ask others far less moral for
permission to use its power"

It is all too easy to demonise France, China and Russia; but the reality is
that most nations are against this folly.

  As I've mentioned, I deplore this stupid, unjustified, pre-emptive, and
distracting war.  Having said that, my impression has been that France,
China, and Russia are particularly demonized at least in part because they
have presented themselves as morally pure on this issue, when in fact they
are largely protecting their own financial interests in the region.  It's
their hypocrisy that's being criticized, not to mention the pure arrogance
of questioning The Absolute Moral Authority of the U.S.  I don't care at all
if nations want to protect their investments (except Cheney's investments in
Iraq, of course), but those nations shouldn't pretend that they're motivated
solely by righteousness.

     Dave!