 Off-Topic / Debate / 19471
Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:50:15 GMT

(warning: the constant use of smileys would get tedious)
:-)

Subject: Questions

Do you know enough to justify going to war with Iraq?

1. Q: What percentage of the world's population does the U.S. have?

A: 6%

If them furriners stop a-comin' here, then we woodn't be so crowded-like.

2. Q: What percentage of the world's wealth does the U.S. have?

A: 50%

You say that as if it were a bad thing.

3. Q: Which country has the largest oil reserves?

A: Saudi Arabia

Oily to bed, and oily to rise, makes an arab healthy, wealthy, and wise.

4. Q: Which country has the second largest oil reserves?

A: Iraq

Scratch the above.

5. Q: How much is spent on military budgets a year worldwide?

A: $900 billion

Ka-ching!

6. Q: How much of this is spent by the U.S.?

A: 50%

Qualitative, m'boy, qualitative.  That and the only real navy left in the
world.  Also note the figure you quote above on wealth - we are average in
spending our wealth on the military.

7. Q: What percent of US military spending would ensure the essentials of
life to everyone in the world, according the UN?

A: 10% (that's about$40 billion, the amount of funding initially
requested to fund our retaliatory attack on Afghanistan).

How much does the U.S. spend for that kind of thing in comparison to the
rest of the world?

8. Q: How many people have died in wars since World War II?

A: 86 million

Okay, so where's the statistic saying what percentage of that was caused by
the U.S.?

9. Q: How long has Iraq had chemical and biological weapons?

A: Since the early 1980's.

That we know of.

10. Q: Did Iraq develop these chemical & biological weapons on their own?

A: No, the materials and technology were supplied by the US government,
along with Britain and private corporations.

You need to establish that those were provided for that express purpose.

11. Q: Did the US government condemn the Iraqi use of gas warfare against
Iran?

A: No

After the embassy-hostage affair, did you expect otherwise?

12. Q: How many people did Saddam Hussein kill using gas in the Kurdish
town of Halabja in 1988?

A: 5,000

13. Q: How many western countries condemned this action at the time?

A: 0

Are you saying that none ever condemned it, or that it took a while for it
to become known, or that any later condemnations were nothing but cynical
shots when it was convenient?

14. Q: How many gallons of agent Orange did America use in Vietnam?

A: 17million.

Are you saying a defoliant is the same as a gas solely aimed at killing
people?  (not that it should have been used in the first place)

15. Q: Are there any proven links between Iraq and September 11th
terrorist attack?

A: No

I think NO!!! would be more accurate.

16. Q: What is the estimated number of civilian casualties in the Gulf
War?

A: 35,000

I guess Iraq should have considered that before invading Kuwait (and how
many civilian deaths were in that country?).

17. Q: How many casualties did the Iraqi military inflict on the western
forces during the Gulf War ?

A: 0

You'll have to back that number up.

18. Q: How many retreating Iraqi soldiers were buried alive by U.S. tanks
with ploughs mounted on the front?

A: 6,000

That one, too.

19. Q: How many tons of depleted uranium were left in Iraq and Kuwait
after the Gulf War?

A: 40 tons

You are only encouraging Bush with that statistic.

20. Q: What according to the UN was the increase in cancer rates in Iraq
between 1991 and 1994?

A: 700%

If you have a point to make, you should establish the direct link instead of
implying without showing a shred of evidence.

21. Q: How much of Iraq's military capacity did America claim it had
destroyed in 1991?

A: 80%

And you believe what the U.S. military claimed?!?

22. Q: Is there any proof that Iraq plans to use its weapons for anything
other than deterrence and self defence?

A: No

You mean, are they planning yet another oil grab at the moment?

23. Q: Does Iraq present more of a threat to world peace now than 10
years ago?

A: No

Hey, they are going to war in just a few hours!

24. Q: How many civilian deaths has the Pentagon predicted in the event
of an attack on Iraq in 2002/3?

A: 10,000

Iraq is a big place.

25. Q: What percentage of these will be children?

A: Over 50%

War is hell.

26. Q: How many years has the U.S. engaged in air strikes on Iraq?

A: 11 years

Under UN sanction?

27. Q: Were the U.S and the UK at war with Iraq between December 1998 and
September 1999?

A: No

Oh?

28. Q: How many pounds of explosives were dropped on Iraq between
December 1998 and September 1999?

A: 20 million

See!

29. Q: How many years ago was UN Resolution 661 introduced, imposing
strict sanctions on Iraq's imports and exports?

A: 12 years

30. Q: What was the child death rate in Iraq in 1989 (per 1,000 births)?

A: 38

31. Q: What was the estimated child death rate in Iraq in 1999 (per 1,000
births)?

A: 131 (that's an increase of 345%)

That's it, give Bush more cause to go in!  Sheesh.....

32. Q: How many Iraqis are estimated to have died by October 1999 as a
result of UN sanctions?

A: 1.5 million

And yet more!  If the UN is responsible for all those, then Bush is right to
sacrifice those 10,000 civilians to oust Hussein.  I wish you would decide
if you are for or against this idiotic war-to-be.

33. Q: How many Iraqi children are estimated to have died due to
sanctions since 1997?

A: 750,000

Ibid.

34. Q: Did Saddam order the inspectors out of Iraq?

A: No

Why would he do that in the first place?  Now, if they had actually been
effective....

35. Q: How many inspections were there in November and December 1998?

A: 300

How many were tipped off ahead of time?

36. Q: How many of these inspections had problems?

A: 5

Answer to my question above: 295.

37. Q: Were the weapons inspectors allowed entry to the Baath Party HQ?

A: Yes

How quickly?

38. Q: Who said that by December 1998, "Iraq had in fact, been disarmed

an undreamed of level unprecedented in modern history."

A: Scott Ritter, UNSCOM chief.

It had the fourth largest military in the world, so that doesn't mean it
still isn't large.

39. Q: In 1998 how much of Iraq's post 1991 capacity to develop weapons
of mass destruction did the UN weapons inspectors claim to have
discovered and dismantled?

A: 90%

In five successful inspections?

40. Q: Is Iraq willing to allow the weapons inspectors back in ?

A: Yes

With only 5 successful inspections, what has he got to lose?

41. Q: How many UN resolutions did Israel violate by 1992?

A: Over 65

How many whaling treaties did Japan violate?  How many cute big-eyed seals
have Canadians slaughtered?

42. Q: How many UN resolutions on Israel did America veto between 1972
and 1990?

A: 30

It was the Godfather: "Hey, here comes Veto Corleone!"

44. Q: How many countries are known to have nuclear weapons?

A: 8

Known or openly declared?

45. Q: How many nuclear warheads has Iraq got?

A: 0

Did anyone claim otherwise?

46. Q: How many nuclear warheads has US got?

A: Over 10,000

Less than half the number the Russians have.  Oh no, a missle gap!

47. Q: Which is the only country to use nuclear weapons?

A: The US

What happened to that "the Allies won the WWII, not the U.S."?

48. Q: How many nuclear warheads does Israel have?

A: Over 400

They won't say they actually have nukes but announce that they have 400?

50. Q: Who said, "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about
things that matter"?

A: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

Yes, but that doesn't mean that one should descend into hysteria.

-->Bruce<--