 Off-Topic / Debate / 19612
Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:06:36 GMT

Most critics I've heard have identified the source of the current problem
in North Korea to be Dubya's inclusion of N. Korea in his "Axis of Evil,"

I'm having a bit of a problem with that assertion. Either the DPRK (note the
difference, I refer to the dictatorship, not the oppressed masses who
suffer) is evil, or it isn't. (it is, all Stalinist regiimes are)

Is the DPRK evil or not? I missed where you answered this one, Dave!

Saying that if one doesn't label a regime as evil it's less likely to
misbehave seems sheer ostrichism. I expected better than that from you, Dave!

See, John?  That's how one properly invokes Dave!
RE: Evil--I think, Larry, that your (and my) definition of evil is
markedly different from the definition supported by our Appointed Theocrat
Lil' Bush.  Even Reagan's reference to The Evil Empire (continuing his Star
Wars motiff) resonates differently from Dubya's casual use of "evil" to
decry anyone who opposes America, the One Nation Under God.

Not that the DPRK isn't a problem in its own right, but the current
escalation from crisis-in-the-background to catastrophe-waiting-to-happen
seems truly to have resulted from the policies of the current
administration, rather than from the actions of the prior admin.

Pin it on the current administration, eh? That's quite the stretch, even for
you, Dave!

I'm completely happy to place most of the blame for where we are now on the
Agreed Framework, which was a nice little work of appeasement. Surely you agree?

BTW and completely not on this subtopic, I just ran across this presentation
(and by inference, a potentially interesting entire site behind it)

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Jan2003/g030124-D-9085M.html

I think what I find neatest about the preso is that each SLIDE has a unique
identifying number... is that cool or what?