 Off-Topic / Debate / 19511
Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:54:48 GMT

John Neal sez to Dave K:
Dave, Dave, Dave, David.  When will you and the UN and the Left learn--
weapons inspections are a JOKE.

Allow me to paraphrase:  When will the Left and the UN stop participating
in democratic debate and simply accept what the Right says on blind faith
with no (or in spite of) evidence?

The fact is that *no* amount of evidence would have prevented a French veto.
They are too invested.  And, to be honest, I don't blame them; they are looking
out for what's best for France.  I just wish they'd be honest about it.

John Neal also sez to Dave K:
Do we need anymore living examples other than North
Korea to finally understand this?

What you don't seem to understand is that even the Left recognize that N.
Korea is a much more pressing issue than Iraq, but Dubya, Powell, Rice,
Rumsfeld, et al seem to think that it's better to go after an easy military
victory regardless of who or what suffers in the process.

Then why doesn't the Left recognize how we got to where we are now with NK?  If
they did, they would be less critical against ousting Saddam at *this*
juncture.  It will be good for KJ to have seen what happened to Saddam when it
comes time to "talk" with NK.

Joke is that N Korea is said to be an 'International issue' whereas Iraq is
an 'American Issue'--where is the difference--N Korea *has* WOMD, and is
developing nucs and can hit continental US, and Iraq can't get 800 miles
outside their border.  One is International issue, one is a threat to
American Security--perfect sense.

Dave, you're missing the real joke!
North Korea has nuclear weapons AND wants a dialogue with the US AND N.
Korea's neighbors recognize the threat AND those neighbors specifically want
the US to take the lead in handling the situation.  Therefore, we're not
doing anything.
Iraq has no nuclear weapons AND DOES NOT want a dialogue with the US AND
Iraq's neighbors acknowledge no credible threat AND those neighbors
specifically DO NOT want the US to lead the charge in handling the
situation.  Therefore, we have bribed, cajoled, coerced, and brow-beat
others into allowing us to invade Iraq.

Quite a punchline, and there's a postscript:

Until very shortly before the Azores summit, Dubya maintained that the issue
would be put to vote before the Security Council, and that the US would
secure a majority of the votes, thereby scoring a rhetorical victory of
principle even if France, Russia, and China vetoed the action.  But after
the summit, the vote-quest was abandoned, allegedly because it would have
forced a veto to occur!  'Scuse me, Dubya--which side of your face are you
talking out of?  The clear motivation for abandoning the vote was to avoid
having to admit that a majority of the council does NOT support US
bloodlust, at least not sufficiently to vote yea on the record.

I will give you that it is a joke how we bustle around trying to garner the
support of the likes of Cameroon.  The whole UN is a joke, and it is an affront
to the dignity of the United States to pander favor in it.  Now if it were
comprised of countries that were of relatively equal strength, it would be more
useful.  But we live in a world where the US is overwhelmingly the dominant
force.  To go through the motions of "asking" for permission to defend our
country in any way we see fit is laughable.  Nobody else bothers....

JOHN