 Off-Topic / Debate / 19544
Re: This just came across my desk... Iraqi Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:30:07 GMT

The fact is that *no* amount of evidence would have prevented a French veto.
They are too invested. And, to be honest, I don't blame them; they are looking
out for what's best for France.  I just wish they'd be honest about it.

  I've said before that France is hardly morally clear on this matter, since
they're motivated at least in large part by their past financial investment
in Iraq, as well as promised contracts for future oil rights.  So, to that
end, you're absolutely correct that they should come clean.
  However, *no* amount of evidence would have convinced Bush that Saddam had
indeed disarmed, so we can hardly condemn France exclusively for failing to
accept what others might call "sufficient" evidence.

What you don't seem to understand is that even the Left recognize that N.
Korea is a much more pressing issue than Iraq, but Dubya, Powell, Rice,
Rumsfeld, et al seem to think that it's better to go after an easy military
victory regardless of who or what suffers in the process.

Then why doesn't the Left recognize how we got to where we are now with NK?
If they did, they would be less critical against ousting Saddam at *this*
juncture.  It will be good for KJ to have seen what happened to Saddam when it
comes time to "talk" with NK.

  Most critics I've heard have identified the source of the current problem
in North Korea to be Dubya's inclusion of N. Korea in his "Axis of Evil,"
not to mention the absolute disregard for N. Korea since Dubya was appointed
to office.

I will give you that it is a joke how we bustle around trying to garner the
support of the likes of Cameroon. The whole UN is a joke, and it is an affront
to the dignity of the United States to pander favor in it.

  Many things internal to the United States are a far greater affront to US
dignity (whatever the heck *that* means).  Among them, our willingness to
seek the impeachment of a President who engaged in a legal sexual affair
with a consenting adult, not to mention our willingness to disembowel the
White House Press Corps at Ari Fleischer's instruction, and also not to
mention our willingness to ignore the much greater wrongdoings of our
current (appointed) president and vice president.

    Dave!