 Off-Topic / Debate / 19470
Re: Gulf of understanding is mutual
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:51:04 GMT

A good article from an expat Brit (now a US citizen)

http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire031903.asp

My favorite quote:

'In off-topic.debate a year and a half ago, I was talking to one of my
Canadian friends about the United States Constitution. He waved away the
Constitution with a laugh. "Oh, that's all nonsense. it's just a piece of
paper. Doesn't mean anything."'

er, no, that's not right. :-) Here's the real quote:

'In China a year and a half ago, I was talking to one of my Chinese
relatives about the United States Constitution. He waved away the
Constitution with a laugh. "Oh, that's all nonsense. it's just a piece of
paper. Doesn't mean anything."'

Funny though, how many times my friend David K. has used that "just a piece
of paper" line, innit?

Scariest part is the conclusion:

"I wouldn't be too optimistic, though. If the war goes well, we shall be
more of a giant than ever; if badly, we shall be that most contemptible of
creatures, a giant brought low by hubris."

Just so you know, while Derbyshire is for it, I'm against the war that will
apparently be underway in 9.5 hours, but if it starts, I want it won, and
won quickly.

I think my point has always been that when you put a piece of paper, or a
book, say, off the top of my head--the Bible, or any other piece of
literature (good or otherwise) above what's good for you or your fellow
person on this planet, then yes, I have a problem with the piece of paper.

If you have a piece of paper that has portions that have such ambiguity
about it that folks have been hashing it out basically since it was written,
and modified it, offered abriedgements/ammendmeents/deletions due to
'archaic writings', then yes, again, I have issues, especially when folks
use these specific archaic portions to hold onto something so dear to them
at the expense of their fellow citizens.

I applaud the effort of the framers, the founders, the fathers.  It was, and
still is to this day, imho, the greatest political experiment--let the rule
of the people shine thru.  I wish all these tinpot dictators and tyrants
would stand up and take notice that when you give the power to the people,
that there isn't much that can't be done.

That said, there is a downside--as you yourself, Larry, have pointed
out--that when the people have the power, that Joe Schmoo 6th grade
education has the same voice as Nobel Laureate Philip.  Eh, the good with
the bad.

Back to the Constitution being 'just a piece of paper'--the term I use when
I butt my head against the wall of apathy from those that would deny the
right to life of their fellow citizens because an archaic ammendment is
deliberately misinterpreted so that these apathetic people can keep their
guns in a closet.

I support the 1st.  I think it's possibly the greatest 'law' ever written.
As Michael Douglas said (paraphrased) in "The American President', the first
protects peoples rights to speak freely, even when they say something that
goes completely contrary to your own opionion.  If Joe Protestor wants ot
burn a flag, it is his right.

I really liked that movie.

Oh another digression--I finally saw "Air Force 1" the other day--that was
pretty good as well--Harrison Ford can basically pull off any character--a
presidential Rambo--and he made it work.

But I love digressions... :)

Dave K