 Off-Topic / Debate / 19468
19467  |  19469
Subject:
Gulf of understanding is mutual
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:29:39 GMT

A good article from an expat Brit (now a US citizen)

http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire031903.asp

My favorite quote:

'In off-topic.debate a year and a half ago, I was talking to one of my
Canadian friends about the United States Constitution. He waved away the
Constitution with a laugh. "Oh, that's all nonsense. it's just a piece of
paper. Doesn't mean anything."'

er, no, that's not right. :-) Here's the real quote:

'In China a year and a half ago, I was talking to one of my Chinese
relatives about the United States Constitution. He waved away the
Constitution with a laugh. "Oh, that's all nonsense. it's just a piece of
paper. Doesn't mean anything."'

Funny though, how many times my friend David K. has used that "just a piece
of paper" line, innit?

Scariest part is the conclusion:

"I wouldn't be too optimistic, though. If the war goes well, we shall be
more of a giant than ever; if badly, we shall be that most contemptible of
creatures, a giant brought low by hubris."

Just so you know, while Derbyshire is for it, I'm against the war that will
apparently be underway in 9.5 hours, but if it starts, I want it won, and
won quickly.