 Off-Topic / Debate / 19597
Re: "gutless" bush?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:33:00 GMT

That's a pretty good house of cards you built there.  If that's the 'domino
effect' that gets us to now, you cannot use "Kuwait's invasion" as the
foundation building block for *this* war.  The issue--the invasion of
Kuwait--has been resolved.  So this current invasion cannot rely on that
issue--it's resolved.

Absolutely not.  It was a condition of surrender, Dave, that SH disarm.  He has
violated that treaty, therefore it is *unresolved*.

Resolution 1441 was a UN resolution.

Who else's would it be?

The UN isn't sanctioning this
invasion.  Therefore that particu.lar issue cannot be used as a pretext for
this current invasion.

Rez 1441 states that "serious consequences" will occur if there isn't
compliance with 1441.  How would you define "serious consequences"?  *More*
<gasp> weapons inspectors?  What kind of pressure is available to force him to
comply?  Or do we scream and scream and finally give up?

Iraqi disarmament was happening without the cost of lives.

Wake up and smell the (illegal) scuds Dave.

Containment of
SH was happening without the cost of lives.  Invading for either of these
reasons is unjustified.  I like how the US 'contained' the USSR for 50ish
years but can't do the same thing for a little bitty country like Iraq.  Oh
right--bullys don't like standing up to other bullys of the same
starure--they just like picking on those smaller and weaker than they
themselves are.

As a tinpot dictator, he wasn't much of a threat to the US (unless he got
frisky with other oil producing countries).  As a WOMD *supplier* to
terrorists, he was a grave threat.

The only point that stands up on its own is the oil grab--I know you were
being facetious, but in your sarcasm, you spoke the truth.

The only country who is in this for the oil is France.  The argument that the
US is doing it for oil is ridiculous-- I mean, do the math.  Or just wait and
see what happens with what we do with the oil fields.  You can line up and eat
crow with -->Bruce<--, Dave! and RM.  It is comical how coincidences drive the
conspiracy theorists nuts-- Wellstone dies days before the election.... BOTH
Bush and Cheney are OIL MEN.....  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

The rest of the
points are 'way points' to get from one issue to another and I won't refute
them.  Saddam did refuse to step down.  I don't like that he didn't step
down, but if some agressor was standing on my doorstep, I'd probably put up
a fight as well.

That's good Dave-- empathize with monsters.  You are morally against using
force to remove a monster from power, yet you can justify a monster's using
force to remain in power.  You are morally lost.

If there was no agressor at my doorstep, there could, and would, have been
time to resolve issues peacably

Or string out negotiations, inspections, etc.

I'm like APD--if there was a bulldozer parked outside my house for no just
reason, I'd lie in the mud in front of it.

"APD"?

JOHN