 Off-Topic / Debate / 19629
Re: "gutless" bush?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:54:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dave Johann writes:

No one really thinks that Dubya should have
leapt to the front lines as soon as danger reared its head (though that
might have been nice), but he should have addressed the nation much more
promptly than he did, and he could have done so easily without exposing
himself to danger or disclosing his location.  Instead, Dubya had to wait
until he was informed of his opinion the matter, and then he had to wait
until his speechwriters could pen something with words small enough for him
to read on camera.

No, he had to wait until the Secter Service was satisfied that the he was
relatively safe from harm and separated from Cheney.

  Evidence, please.  The Secret Service is, as I understand it, trained to
secure the safety of the president, even if he's appointed rather than
elected to the position.  I think that should take a maximum of about half
an hour.  I'm no expert on shadow governments, but I could probably figure
out if Dick Cheney was in the room with me, so I could probably make sure he
was safely distant from my immediate vicinity in relatively short order,
too.  And that's only assuming that Dick and Dubya were together in the
first place.
  Lacking good evidence, the only way to believe your assertion is to assume
it outright.  I don't know that this qualifies Dubya as a coward, but he
certainly should have made an immediate statement to the nation (49% of
which voted for him) in its time of need.  Saddam, for pity's sake, was
quicker to release a statement to Iraq last night than Dubya was to address
the US on 9/11!

     Dave!