 Off-Topic / Debate / 19596
Re: "gutless" bush?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:31:31 GMT

<snip>

I think the Left simply cannot deal with their painfully obvious diplomatic
failure and the failure of the process in general.  Sure, they could rally the
masses to march for peace (who wants war?), but when it came down to actually
dealing with solutions, they were a little short on answers.  "Give peace a
chance" is quite an impotent response to brutal dictators.

Then you obviously have no clue how much strength and fortitude it takes to,
unarmed and undefended, stand in front of a rolling tank.

If you think that what the Tien An Min Square protesters were saying/doing
was merely "give peace a chance", you may have misunderstood. They were
FIGHTING for what they believed in, and they had pledged their lives, their
fortunes and their sacred honor to the task.

Too bad the rest of the world hasn't honored their sacrifice but instead
does business with their oppressors.

Agreed.

They protested peaceably.  They didn't get guns, they didn't blow things up,
and they made a point that was 'heard 'round the world'.

You know a long time ago someone e-mailed me this quotation:

"it's a lot nicer when spray paint vandals don't trash the
subway, but standing around and saying "it's a lot nicer when vandals don't
trash the subway" doesn't actually stop them from doing it."

Which is pretty much true, but when I stand around and say that "it's a lot
nicer when vandals don't trash the subway", I carry a paint brush and paint
can--I'm willing to do what it takes.  Sure the thugs can vandalize again,
but I can paint again as well. (1)

It would be great if the painting wasn't done in the first place, and I'll
work on that as well--but if the situation *has* happened, what's the best
remedy?  Fix it, not blow it up.

Dave K

toot my own horn time--there was this underpass that was just riddled with
every sort of obscenity spray-painted on the concrete--the bridge was built
for 'future expansion', but wasn't actually used as such for may many years,
so the 'artists' had a lot of time to paint what they wanted.  Well, there
was an access ramp that I used to get to university, so I saw this graffitti
every weekday.  One Saturday, armed with paint can, I went and started my
own artwork--covering up theirs.  People driving by stopped and thanked me
for doing so--even a Constable On Patrol pulled up and he and I had a
pleasant conversation with him about graffitti and such related vandalism.