 General / 46515
Re: How have the new colors affected your recent buying decisions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:34:26 GMT

Allan,

Good topic.

I am still very disapointed with the way LEGO has handled this color change. They have done alot of damage and sown a lot of distrust with one of their most loyal (albeit very small) customer segments. I think that in the end will have much more lasting effects that the actual color change itself.

My personal purchasing is way down so far this year. I have not bought any of the 2004 sets that contain the new colors. In fact, the only 2004 set I bought was 4502 since it was known to contain the older colors. I can tell you that I really have been wanting to buy set 4500 but haven’t specifically due to the color change. Since then I have only bought 2003 (or older) sets that are still available through retail or s@h. Which is fine with me since I do have a little catching up to do. Even then, my purchasing is down. I have really only been purchasing in support of MOC building, and I have been turing increasingly to bricklink since the color change was discovered.

Actually, the bigger concern for me about the color change is the quality control and color variation that has been reported with the purple HP bus. That combined with other quality issues TLC have been having, I am very reluctant to spend $$ on their products. I am at a point where my view of lego quality is so low that megablocks does not seem so bad... especially if you are a trek fan.

I don’t think I’m one of those people who is going to swear off all new lego though just because of the colors. The new colors can look good. Take Steve Runnels’ sPace3800 design. The combination of the new dark gray, black look great. The problem is that most of Lego’s new sets don’t look as good as Steve’s creation.

In the past, I could overlook poorer set quality/design when buying sets for “parts only”. Now that the new grays are essentially useless to me (as a MOC builder) until I build up a big enough collection of them, I am reluctant to purchase new sets on a “for parts” basis. So mentally, I’m in a chicken & egg problem... I don’t want sets with new grays until I have a workable collection. I cannot build a workable collection unless I purchase the new sets. Argh... what to do??

So for me to begin purchasing new LEGO sets that contain the new grays, they’re going to have to make my jaw hit the floor when I see them on the shelves. For example, I would not be able to refuse a UCS/sculpture scale version of a P38, F-4, F-15, etc. I would buy up any minifig scale, WWII warbird theme, or a USS IOWA sculpture. If LEGO can put out a series of stunning sets/themes that contain a wide variety of piece types that are made up primarily of new colors, I think I could learn to LOVE the color change. Heck, something like a “neo-classic space” bucket that contained lots of the new grays would be cool. It could be anything that allows me to build a workable collection to build MOCs from in a relatively short period of time and reasonable $$ investment. Unfortunately, from what I see of the 2004 offerings so far, this is not likely.

So until that happens, I will probably stick to buying pre2004 sets and parts from bricklink to support my MOC habbit. And hey, there’s always LDraw where we can revel in nostalgia and build with classic grays to our hearts content.

just my thoughts, drc