 General / 46335
Re: How have the new colors affected your recent buying decisions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:16:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:
I know the whole 'new colors' topic has been done again and again, but I was
thinking today about the way it has affected my recent buying decisions.  I was
wondering if other people had been affected to the same degree.

My LEGO purchases are way down from last year as a direct consequence of the
color change.  So far in 2004, I have purchased a total of 3 4400 tubs.  Compare
that to last year, when I spent "mid three figures" every month on LEGO.  There
are a few reasons for this:

1. The color change itself causes logistical problems for me in how I sort,
store, and build with LEGO, so I have consciously avoided purchasing new-gray
sets.
2. The reaction from the company, "you AFOLs are not an important market segment
to us" was disheartening, and has diminished my level of interest in the hobby.
3. The reaction within the AFOL community was divisive, and I found the
discussion itself of the color change diminished my sense of belonging in this
community.

Not only are my LEGO purchases down dramatically from even three months ago, but
my level of committment to the hobby is as well.  Somehow, I just don't find it
to be as rewarding a passtime as it was not so long ago.  I've worked on a few
building projects to support some club activities, but my LEGO-related software
projects have ground to a halt, and I don't find myself being inspired to create
small MOCs out-of-the-blue as I once was.

I believe that this lull is a temporary condition for me, but it will affect my
purchases for some time to come.  I have gotten myself into the mindset that I
will use the LEGO that I've already got rather than buy new stuff, and I've
probably got enough LEGO already to build with for a few years without having
the sorting bins go dry.

- Chris.