 General / 46343
Re: How have the new colors affected your recent buying decisions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:

Are other people in the same boat?  Has the color change truly affected your
buying decisions/patterns?  (By that I mean not just your attitude, but the
actual way in which you are spending your dollars.)  Are there people who have
learned to love the new colors and are therefore buying the same number or more
of new sets than before?

I don't expect my buying habits to change at all.  Thanks to the aging process
of LEGO which eventually turns all bricks yellow, I have many different shades
of grey in my collection. Plus, LEGO hasn't been consistent with colors anyway.
(Pieces from 1981-1985 space sets have surprisingly large variations in the
grey, even after one accounts for yellowing.  I remember noticing this as a
child.  A few of my "1x1 plate with vertical clip" pieces, for example, are
about halfway between grey and dark grey!)

I expect that I will eventually pick up most of the Harry Potter, Star Wars, and
Castle sets this year, and probably some of the Pirates and Spider Man sets as
well.

As far as I'm concerned, new colors mean a broader color palette for my
building.  Yes, it's annoying that we won't be able to buy new bricks in some of
the older colors, but that's OK with me.  When I was young I was happy to have 6
colors (red, yellow, blue, white, black, grey) with a few special pieces in
other colors (brown, green, plus transparent colors).  Now I have dozens of
colors.  I'm happy.  Well, the brown may annoy me some.  I haven't seen it yet,
but from pictures it looks too red.  And I don't have enough of the old brown.
But if they start producing the new brown in large quantities, with more pieces
available (many pieces were never made in old brown, or at least not until just
before it was dropped) then I won't mind too much.

The non-yellow minifigs are going to be weird, but I don't really play with
minifigs much.  I mostly just build structures, and occasionally add in a few
minifigs afterwards if I happen to remember. :-)

--
Tim Buchheim