 General / 46344
Re: I need your help... and info!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:20:04 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Stephane Simard wrote:
   Done.

I think your people will be surprised at how few of my Lego purchases are made at Shop @ Home or retail. (75% are made at eBay and BrickLink). I suspect there are many AFOLs with a similar percentage.

Same here. This past December, I came back from a 19-year ‘dark age’ where my most recent hobby was CCGs. With that kind of background, I was loathe to pay retail for sets past my initial impulse buy of a SW Minis set. Combine that reluctance with the fact that none of the current lines appeal to me, and eBay/Bricklink seemed a natural fit. So while I have spent (a lot) on LEGO in the past three months, TLG might only see 20% of that.

That said, I have (and would again) pay TLG up-front for more Legends or contemporary lines that matched up to the standards set in the 80s. Except for a 4534, every purchase I’ve made on eBay/Bricklink has been for sets/parts of that vintage. The price point hasn’t been so much a factor as the models/themes that comprised those purchases.

It’s frustrating to read that AFOLs only make up 5% of the market when I know that what I’ve spent on LEGO for myself in the last month completely dwarfs the amount that’s been spent for my eight nephews/nieces in their entire lives. I’ve now got tubs of bricks that weigh more than those kids, let alone their LEGO collections.

I’m not bragging (confessing’s more like it) but I’m willing to bet that I’ve spent more on LEGO in three months than most neighborhoods do for their kids, collectively, in a year. I can’t say for certain, but from what I read around here, it would seem that many other AFOLs pour money into their LEGO hobby via eBay/Bricklink, as I do.

For a company that seems to put a lot of weight into market research, you’d think TLG would have figured out a way to lure the AFOL dollar from the secondary market by now, instead of dismissing us as an insignificant percentage of their customer base.

Here’s hoping the results of Jake’s poll open the right eyes, because I don’t think TLG is healthy enough to dismiss the AFOL for much longer.