 General / 46468
Re: How have the new colors affected your recent buying decisions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:31:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford wrote:
Snipped...

I'm just curious how this change is going to play out where it really matters
most... at the cash register.

Best regards,
Allan B.

I am another who is used to spending between $5000.00 - $10,000 a year on Sets
and bulk ordering. Probably another $2000.00 or so on Bricklink. So far this
year I have only ordered about $300.00 of old light gray bricks in bulk from S@H
and now that those stocks are depleted, I will spend no more. I will not buy any
of the new castle line and I will likely only purchase one or two of the new
Harry Potter sets for my kids. This is a huge change as I am used to buying
multiple copies of every Harry Potter set and some castle sets I buy probably 50
or more of the smaller sets and usually 20 or more of the medium sized sets. I
won't buy any of the other lines this year with the exception of one or two of
the Dinosaur designer set. Anything with a lot of new light gray will never be
purchased even at big discounts. Any and all of my purchases at retail this year
will be 2003 sets at discounted prices. If the color change remains permanent,
my retail purchases will stop completely. If S@H stops carrying old grays, I
will also completely stop purchasing from there as well. That will leave
Bricklink and old grays are going to become more and more scarce and expensive
until I can see a time I will no longer purchase from there either.

From the sounds of it many AFOLs agree with me and this may become a financial
disaster for TLC. Not only will TLC lose money from AFOLs, but we will no longer
be free advertising for TLC. Those of us like myself who are involved in Train
shows etc... are going to find it hard not to express our feelings about the new
grays.

I won't be telling people not to buy Megabloks anymore either. Who needs brand
loyalty when that brand has completely disregarded such a large and vocal part
of their customer base. They may say we are a small percentage of their
business, but not many companies would risk losing 5% of their customers on such
an unneccessary action. Especially when they are already financially troubled.
This color change has the potential to become a corporate killer and it amazing
to me that they don't seem to care. Backwards compatibility was one of those
core values TLC was supposed to be returning to, that must have slipped their
minds while they were out making the biggest corporate mistake since New Coke.

Former Loyal Customer and Now just a builder...

Will