 Castle / 7175
7174  |  7176
Subject:
Ultimate castle theme..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:45:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

  Hey there everyone! I was just curious as to what everyone's thoughts
are as to what they think would make for the ultimate castle theme. I've
got some opinions on it myself, and a lot of it stems from the frustrations
of starting out only with the current theme, and having the older stuff only
available on ebay, rather than already having stuff from collecting it
all along...

  I think for me, what I'd consider to be a fantastic lego castle theme
would be one that takes some of the best ideas from each of the
castle lines we've seen so far. I love Knight's Kingdom for the detail
and some of the styling. The siege engines are neat, the minifigs
look good, and there's a wonderful abundance of weapons and
accessories. What I don't like about this theme is that simple things
like standard fantasy stuff are missing (such as decent-looking
dragons and wizards and the like.. I mean really... a dragon with
transparent red wings that's only available in a hard-to-find
promotional set??  Auuugh!),  and it's hard to put together a
good castle. Basic castle walls aren't even in the current sets, for
instance (except maybe king leo's castle, but it's expensive to
get multiples of, and right now is hard to find, and besides how
many of those green bases etc do you need??)... And heck, they're
not even offering accessory service packs, or minifig packs for
this theme yet.

  I looked back at some of the older sets and saw some neat things
and got some interesting ideas.  Some of the sets from the 80's
had a "simple but functional" sort of look. Nice small fortresses with
those castle wall pieces, and hinged in some cases (such as 6073,
6075, 6080) and there used to be a drawbridge/gatehouse set
once upon a time (6078).

  I think one thing that's been lacking all along though is modularity
and scalability. So here's what I think would be really awesome:

  1)  Sets that consist of maybe a section of castle wall and a tower
that snap together with pin/socket joints. Each one could come with
a catapult or some other siege engine, some good guys, and some
bad guys. This would allow you to build a castle or fortress as large
or small as you want, depending on how many of the sets you buy.

  2) One or two different gatehouse sets, with portculleses and
drawbridges. Also modular.

  3) Seperate fantasy packs that have dragons, wizards,
skeletons, ghosts, the like. That way you can add as much or
as little of a fantasy element as you want.

  4) Peasant/village sets, so you can build an outlying village around
your castle (or in it) if you want.

  5) Service/expansion packs with soldiers or peasants (extra
minifigs), or dungeon trappings, or packs of weapons and
armor and horse trappings, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

--
-Bones-