 Castle / 7244
Re: First (was Re: Ultimate castle theme..)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 04:11:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.castle, Mark Sandlin writes:
Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?
I'd sure like to see a dragon that was bigger than 2 minifigs tall.
Maybe it could come in its own set or something.
my 2 copper pieces
~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin

Congratulations Mark on being the first post of the new millennium.   :-)
(Of course some would argue for the odometer turn over a year ago.)

Others would point out that 2001/01/01 00:00:01 GMT is not the start of the new
millenium even if you subscribe to the incorrect notion (1) that 2001 is the
start of the new millenium, not 2000. GMT is 12 hours behind the international
date line. Of course others would point out that GMT is also UT (Universal
Time), but still, the folks over there by the date line got to see their date
roll over to 2000 12 hours before the folks in Greenwich.

Of course all of this just points out how silly the whole idea is. However,
silliness is always the best reason to party, so on that token, I propose that
we live for the minute and celebrate every new minute to the utmost! (and hey,
at least all of us who know how to set a clock correctly can agree that a new
minute starts at the same time, no matter what particular combination of funny
marks you would use to record that particular instant in time - well ok, so
probably not all of us set our clocks to the exact same time as the most
universally accepted reference clock but what they hey, I doubt any
generally accepted reference clocks are off by much more than a second or two).

(1) I used to be a "the new millenium starts in 2001" person until I decided
that ultimately, there is very little which is relevant about the year. One
problem is that it is almost certain that Jesus was not born in the year which
is numbered 0 AD. Another problem is that the system of AD dates started much
after that time, so it is irrelevant to talk about starting counting from 0 or
from 1. What we end up with is the only really relevant thing is what happens
to the digits, and for some reason, we have a liking to numbers which end in
lots of 0s, so with that perspective in mind, the millenium clearly starts in
2000, after all, when we talk about the 80s, we mean 1980/01/01 to 1989/12/31
not 1981/01/01 to 1990/12/31.

Frank