 Castle / 7181
Re: Ultimate castle theme..
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:43:35 GMT

Mike Timm wrote:

On Wed, 27 Dec 2000 22:45:10 GMT, "Bones Dragon"
<necrobones.nospam@ihatespam.necrobones.com> wrote:
I think one thing that's been lacking all along though is modularity
and scalability. So here's what I think would be really awesome:

1)  Sets that consist of maybe a section of castle wall and a tower
that snap together with pin/socket joints. Each one could come with
a catapult or some other siege engine, some good guys, and some
bad guys. This would allow you to build a castle or fortress as large
or small as you want, depending on how many of the sets you buy.

Some of the Ninja sets were *MUCH* better at being modular than other
lines, specifically the Flying Ninja Fortress and the Stone Tower
Bridge (the STB is especially nice with multiple middle sections).
This would be kind a nice, but its geared VERY HEAVILY towards the
more 'extreme' level of enthusiast.  The problem I see with it would
it sell enough?

Well, I think he's discussing not only modularity within a set, but having
multiple sets link together easily to form one bigger set - sort of the way you
can put together the 3 different grandstands and the main Soccer set to form a
stadium.

The important thing would be to have small sets that stood on their own, as well
as being able to be linked into the larger building.  For instance, maybe you
could have a small stable set - a couple of horses with tack, a stableboy, a
hayloft and a roof - maybe a knight, too. Shouldn't be too expensive, maybe a
$10 set.  You could certainly have play value with just that set.  But then you
add the idea of attachments...

Now let's say you have a larger set, maybe a $20 inn.  You can attach the stable
to this so the guests have someplace to put their horses.  Or, you could plug it
into the courtyard of your castle, so the warhorses have a place to stay.  You
could even plug multiple stables together to make one big one.

Here'd be my rundown of sets - one that I think is pretty reasonable given
offerings in the past.

Knight & Squire - $5  This set would be the equivalent of "King Leo" or "Bat
Lord" - small, with a couple of characters for play, a horse, maybe a couple of
things to suggest a campsite.  Ideally, the knight would have removable armor
with 'civilian' clothes underneath (a la the Samurai Swordsman) and hair for
when he removes his helmet (as in the recent Race sets).

Stable - $10 As above, the first of the modular sets.  Knowing TLC, it'll have
the same Knight as the smaller set.  Oh, and a stableboy with pitchfork please!

$15 - Not entirely sure - perhaps a blacksmith shop?  That's another thing
that'd go well with the stables, after all.  Another possibility would be a
guard tower with wall section & guards.

$20 - Inn, with a couple of floors. A common room on the bottom and a guest room
on top.  It'd probably be pretty minimalist, but they did make the Samurai
Stronghold for this price point.  Male & female staff.

$30 - Gatehouse - two big towers, a drawbridge, portcullis.  Somewhere between
the Royal Drawbridge and the Stone Tower Bridge in complexity.  Comes with some
guards (and probably the knight and squire again).

$50 - Wow, I'm not sure what I'd put here.  I don't think another gatehouse in
the same year would be good (but future years of the theme could certainly have
different ones with different designs).  I'd *love* to see a 'market square' set
with lots of people selling stuff, but I'm not sure that TLC would think it
would sell.

$90 - the main Castle set, of course.  Either it's on a raised baseplate in
which case it's more of the 'inner bailey' and all the other sets can be linked
around it  into a large 'outer bailey', or it's a castle on hinges that could
open up.  I'm not sure which I prefer.  Lots of knights, the royal family, etc.

Yeah, there are no obvious 'bad guys' in this theme.  So sue me - I leave it up
to the kids.  They didn't have defined 'bad guys' and 'good guys' in the good
old days, and I never had any problem with it.

4) Peasant/village sets, so you can build an outlying village around
your castle (or in it) if you want.

Something like this has been on wish lists since castle was
introduced.

And for good reason!  There's more to castle than knights and wars.

5) Service/expansion packs with soldiers or peasants (extra

minifigs), or dungeon trappings, or packs of weapons and
armor and horse trappings, etc.

I would have to say the only way I see any significant amount of this
happening is through Shop at Home/Bulk packs style of delivery.

True.  Even the abvailability of the old Castle 'service packs' would be nice.
I got back into LEGO  at the end of FK, so although I could have ordered the FK
pack, I had plenty of all the parts from all the discounted sets I was buying.