 Off-Topic / Debate / 8428
Re: there ain't no such thing as "year zero"...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 16:02:20 GMT

   (*Sound of dead horse being savagely beaten*)

   That's all right, it deserves it.  Keeps our minds off of
   more important but far more depressing matters [1].

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Franklin W. Cain writes:
There was *not* a "year zero".  The year after "1 BC" was the year "AD 1".
The Christian Calendar (and that *is* what it is, whether or not people
want to accept it as such) is *not* a number line; IT DOESN'T HAVE A "ZERO"!
Thus, the FIRST year of the FIRST decade of the FIRST century of the FIRST
millenium was the year ANNO DOMINI ONE!!!  And since a millenium is ONE
THOUSAND YEARS, that means that the LAST year (i.e., the THOUSANDTH year)
of that first millenium AD was the year AD 1000.  Thus, the VERY NEXT YEAR,
the year AD 1001, was the FIRST year of the NEXT millenium.  And so on.

   I'm in full agreement with Franklin, but my evidence is in the
   term "Anno Domini" itself--"In the Year of our Lord."  I doubt
   anyone would have started with zero (actually, they started
   somewhere much later and counted backwards to one).  At least,
   that's how things worked until the introduction of the conceptual
   zero and the number line later in European history.

   best

   LFB

   [1] For example, Dubya's choice for Attorney General.  May Colin
       Powell save us all...