 Castle / 7201
7200  |  7202
Subject:
Lego Revamps( was Re: Ultimate castle theme..)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:55:34 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Thomas Garrison writes:
In lugnet.castle, Ed T. Toton III writes:

<snip>

I think one thing that's been lacking all along though is modularity
and scalability. So here's what I think would be really awesome:

1)  Sets that consist of maybe a section of castle wall and a tower
that snap together with pin/socket joints. Each one could come with
a catapult or some other siege engine, some good guys, and some
bad guys. This would allow you to build a castle or fortress as large
or small as you want, depending on how many of the sets you buy.

2) One or two different gatehouse sets, with portculleses and
drawbridges. Also modular.

3) Seperate fantasy packs that have dragons, wizards,
skeletons, ghosts, the like. That way you can add as much or
as little of a fantasy element as you want.

4) Peasant/village sets, so you can build an outlying village around
your castle (or in it) if you want.

5) Service/expansion packs with soldiers or peasants (extra
minifigs), or dungeon trappings, or packs of weapons and
armor and horse trappings, etc.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

I agree, in general.  In fact, your ideas are remarkably similar to some
thoughts I had a few weeks ago, so I'll toss in mine too:

A basic underlying precept I have is my belief that, if Lego really wants to
be competitive in the toy market[1], every Lego set that costs more than,
say $15 should be designed and marketed as _two_ models.[2]  What I'm
talking here is:  every catalog identifies set with both model names; box
has two "fronts" instead of "front" and "back", with each "front"
emphasizing one of the models, with the other as a smaller picture on that
"front"[3]; designers are authorized to include up to 10% more parts to make
sure that both models look equally impressive/accurate.  This is the way to
_demonstrate_ that Lego is really "twice the toy".

Personally I would think that the price range should be something like this.
Tiny Set (ie simple promotionals,cars,boats)- Under £5 -- This would
encourage pocket money spending (Kbaya? type schemes..)

Small set --(Piece counts?)  £10
Mid-range set --             £20
Large Set (ie like a base or police station type set)  £30
X-LArge set ( Equiv of 2 Ninja Fotresses..)  £70
Massive set (Specials for AFOLS, Sculputures etc with huge peice counts.)
£50 and above range - This is becuase you are effectivly buying limited
editons that would cost more to produce and would potentialy have lower
commercial uptake..

That said, here are my notions:
I think, with the cost of Lego, the only way to go is modularity, with two
or three Technic pins[4] connecting each wall or tower set at each end.  The
other model, of course, should then be something truly different (and
capable of standing on its own, for those parents who think a set isn't
complete if it has no back).

Yes, I agree with modularity. What I would also like to see is a return to
Town, Castle, Space distinctions and not 'over-themeing'!  For example
(Castle ones skipped as you spplied those.)

Town-     Mid-Range set uses a 16x16 baseplate--- 2 minfigs
          e.g  a snack  bar,post office, garage etc.
          Large stes - 32x32 baseplates anyting between 5x10 minfigs.
                       Fire station, racway pits, medical centere.

          X-Large-    32x32 baseplates( may include extra road plates to make
set self contained.)
                      Hospital,Raceway,  Crago port...

Of course if we were going for modularity... a revived airport or seaport
would be a very good idea...(Assuming a standard kid)...

At Christhmas kid recives  set (XXXX-AL1) Airport... An XL-set which has
bout 5 planes, a terminal building,control tower and some runway.

He adds to this by saving up for a more runway plates bought via LSAH..(ie
each plate costing about ($0.50?) some minfig packs ($3.00) and 2 new
planes..($7.00) each...

For his birthday he asks and recives a new terminal-xtension pack and a
mantinence bay.. -2 Large sets...

Of course a revived Town them could make use of the following ideas:
  Nobody likes cars in town centeres..- So were are the bikes?
  (Encourage a cycle-friendly Lego(R) Town...)
  All trafic policeman wear Hi-vis vests. Minfigs don't. Do they have
perfect 20/20 vison even at night?!!
  You need other town services!!
  You defintly need somewhere for minfings to let thie hair down..
  Public transport is needed...- Link to trains theme...

Importnatly I would suggest rotaionl ranges withslight changes in later stes
such as slighlty differing colors..( Partly this might stop the
'extoronists' on Ebay.) Normal AFOLS ussaly charge 'fair' prices..

<Specfic castle info snipped.>

And of course the other sets would be smaller things (carts, minfigs, etc.)
and the occasional "special" set like the Knight's Challenge or the
Forestmen sets[7].

Same for town or space... (Kind of like buying sets of Airfix fiqures to go
with a tank kit?)

I think modular wall sections are the way to go.  Even when I was 10 I was
very aware that the sets TLG was passing off as "castles" were much too
small---and that it would take a lot of bricks to do better.  With a section
of wall, you can enact a siege if you wish, and with enough sections you can
build as big as you wish.  This sort of Castle lineup would also *encourage*
kids to get more Lego, and buy additional copies of sets (and I think AFOLs
would be quite happy as well. ;)  Something that amazes me about Lego
marketing is how "unexpandable" much of System seems to be.[8]  With a
modular theme like this, each Kmart could offer a decent chunk of the theme,
and kids would be asking their parents for all they could afford, and people
wouldn't be afraid buy Lego as a present for relatives (Who cares whether
the kid already has two corner towers?  He'll still love another one or two!)

Yeah- And if you consider that some castles have duplicated buildings anyway..

In town terms you might end with two kids playing with each duplicate.-- How
about some basic 'market forces'?...

That's my input.  Take it as you will.

TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/

[1] Which is of course open to doubt; things like sets 3342 and 3344 suggest
that either TLC is out to lose money, or several key marketing people work
for Ritvik. . .

Oh... Now theres a conspiracy. Rival firm infiltartes Lego, designs Jr to
being TLG down so it can steal thier thunder.. Get Real!!..

[2] It might make sense to make an exemption sets that are clearly supposed
to be something whose basic design falls outside of TLC's control, such as
Model Team or Star Wars sets.  On the other hand, those are precisely the
sets that seem to have the best alternate models already.

Or Disney,Potter etc...

[5]  If TLC were to ever make something like this, they could easily change
models every few years to allow all possibilities, while still keeping the
number of sets in production each year manageable.

Yes, but bear in mind theres the long runnig sotyr of customised models to
order...

[8]  Not only does TLC make sets that don't encourage the
less-than-fabulously-rich to buy multiple copies, but they don't even expect
their customers to want to buy a whole year's addition to a theme.  I mean,
what kid would want to buy all of the Knight's Kingdom when it means ending
up with three kings?

Agreed.  Sets should be slef contained but not at the xpense of having
multiple duplicate 'charecter' minfigs.. Which are a poor idea anyway..

Alex

Comments welcome.