 CAD / Development / Organizations / LDraw / *1276 (-100)
  Re: What happened reagdring formalisation?

Carsten Schmitz <casz@gmx.de> wrote in message news:GA2AAx.DDt@lugnet.com... (...) Carsten - That's being addressed right now. Basically what is being done is we are developing a new parts approval system to make updates more 'realtime' to the parts (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

Hello Tim, I am really hoping (and not only me) we can get a parts update on the way soon. There are so many good new parts i would like to use officially... Greetings, Carsten "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

Farlie A <alex_farlie@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GA1J1F.Mzx@lugnet.com... (...) LDraw.org? What Lar said, its still in the works right now. Good thing this week I am on vacation, because I can jot some thoughts down when not working on other (...) (24 years ago, 11-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: What happened reagdring formalisation?

(...) Work is in progress but it's not going as quickly as we all would like it to. ++Lar (the observer) (24 years ago, 11-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  What happened reagdring formalisation?

It's in the title but what was eventually decided about formalising LDraw.org? I ask because I had a new meta command I wanted to submit and wanated to send it to the right person! (If nothing fixed yet let me know and i'll put up in cad.dev) Alex (24 years ago, 11-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Looking for editors...

Hey... I'm working on changing the LDraw.org download section by adding OS-specific sections, and download pages broken down from there. It will start off with Windows, Mac, and Linux sections. Currently, I have a Mac editor, and I would like a (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad)

  L2P links fixed

the L2P links on LDraw.org should be fixed now. (URL) Tim Courtney - tim@ldraw.org (URL) - Centralized LDraw Resources (24 years ago, 10-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  More programs for /download/software

I would like to see a few more programs be added to the /download/software section. . LeoCAD (URL) Koen's bend thingie creator (URL) Jeff Boen's DatSort (URL) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: March 2001 ldraw.org MOTM winner

"Ryan Dennett" <rdennett@firehousemail.com> wrote in message news:G9Jpyx.GwH@lugnet.com... (...) '...and uhh, I'd like to thank the Academy...' :-) Congrats, Ryan! -Tim (who also really liked the Star Wars rendering) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: March 2001 ldraw.org MOTM winner

I just want to say thanks to everyone who voted for me and also to Tim Courtney who made some suggestions, that helped make this scene so cool. Thanks Tim. :) The Star Wars scene was also a great rendering, and I figured that that would be the one (...) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  March 2001 ldraw.org MOTM winner

Ryan Dennett races to a win... A second win of the MOTM goes to Ryan and his "Corvette Country Road". And for the second month, the winner is an auto-themed entry - how interesting. (URL) Terry K -- (24 years ago, 1-Mar-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  March 2001 ldraw.org MOTM voting

Here goes, (URL) out and vote.... -- Terry K -- (24 years ago, 25-Feb-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) to (...) That's an interesting point. Here's a variation on that: If someone with a good memory watched someone else build a Lego set, he could go home and build it himself. And if he had friends with good memories, he could then show them how (...) (24 years ago, 24-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

[disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.] (...) Well, I think it's tempting to look at it as a transformation when it's actually reverse-engineering. (...) If an artist hand-painted extremely detailed step-by-step instructions on how to build the model -- (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

Todd: (...) I think this is where our way of looking at things diverge. Assuming that somebody wrote this MPD-to-PostScript translater I asked for a few weeks ago we could get quite a bit closer to an automated transformation of a LDraw file into (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

[disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.] (...) Ahh, but it's nothing at all like the original work. You're not even translating the copyrighted building instruction booklet. You use the building instruction booklet to build the model, then you disassemble (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

[ I am still a scientist, not a lawyer ] Erik: (...) <quote src="Danish copyright law" translation="on-the-fly"> § 4. One, who translates, reworks or in another way adapts a work, including transforming it to another form of litterature or art, has (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) I think the DAT file becomes a derivative work. You're just translating the original work into a new medium. It's like you've written down a scene-by-scene description of a film. If it's allowed under the Fair Play policy, then it's allowed. (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

[disclaimer: I am not a lawyer] (...) It's very different. Copying instructions is copying instructions. Copying .DAT files is copying text files that list parts with x,y,z coordinates and orientations. (...) A copyright 20 years old may be as valid (...) (24 years ago, 23-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) I see the situation this way. On set instructions, it may say (c)1999 LEGO Group. As many copyright disclaimers say something like this: No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or (...) (24 years ago, 22-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) What would that mean for Star Wars scenes? --Todd (24 years ago, 21-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

Ryan: (...) The whole idea of the OMR is very much in a grey area copyright-wise, so I suggest that those in charge of the OMR contact LEGO, explain the situation, and ask them what they find is reasonable. Jacob PS: You could also ask your own (...) (24 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

And here's another issue. The Brickshelf has self-imposed restrictions to not have scans of instructions for sets from 1997 or later. Should the OMR have a similar restriction? --Ryan (24 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) Ok by me --Todd (24 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw.org Official Model Repository Standards

Good job Ryan, Thanks for summarizing the long awaited OMR guidelines. Two comments: 1. Having the error.dat file is a right place to declare the eventual incompleteness of the model (missing, yet unmodelled parts etc). I would require the modellers (...) (24 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw.org Official Model Repository Standards

Ok, I've made some changes to the Standards. One thing I forgot to say in my post was that for more information on the repository and for previous posts see www.ldraw.org/repository Anyway, here is what I made for changes... Moved "Terms" to the (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw.org Official Model Repository Standards

(...) I don't quite understand what this means, probably because I've just been unaware as to what the OMR actually is. Is it a center where you download models into a standard directory, as is done with 'Parts'? And one question about sub-models (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) Why not use the same naming convention as the LUGNET DB ? That way we can cross-reference easily, there could be an option to download the .dat file just like there is now a "download building instructions from brickshelf". Well, assuming Todd (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  RE: Official model repository situation

(...) My reasoning was that this would group all the files together and make them instantly recognizable in people's model folders. If the filename started with a number, it would get grouped with unofficial parts, for example. --Bram Bram Lambrecht (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Ryan Dennett" <rdennett@firehousemail.com> wrote in message news:G8vs4v.K4s@lugnet.com... (...) I have some nitpicking to do, not too much though. :o) All of the meat of this post is fine the way I see it, but there needs to be some (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  LDraw.org Official Model Repository Standards

Ok, I have made some changes to the OMR Standards based on the feedback that has been given. If there is no major objections than this is how the Standard will remain, but as always feedback is nescessary for things to work well. I think that most (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message news:3a8dab56.648880...net.com... (...) I remember you used those examples when we were originally hashing this - in fact, they're cited in a post of mine setting the current standard back then. (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) Ya, I totally agree on an (optional or maybe not optional) M part -- it's incredibly is helpful for sets with the same number that also came out in the same year -- for example 1974 Star Quest, 1974 Smuggler's Hayride, and 1974 Flyer Cracker (...) (24 years ago, 17-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

Ok, let me ask this then, do programs such as Ldlite, MLCad, etc accept ,mpd files and automatically split them or is there still the need to split the .mpd manually? I haven't used MLCad much basically because I've become so proficient in LEdit and (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  RE: Official model repository situation

(...) LDraw and LEdit can't read MPD files without first splitting them, so I see no reason to limit MPD filenames to 8.3. Long filenames will be much more readable and easier to organize, which is what we're looking for in filenames for OMR models. (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) Why *not* accept long filenames for model names? I think that the current generation of tools (LDLite, MLCad, etc.) are sufficiently good enough -- and we don't necessarily want to restrict Un*x and Mac users as well. I'm a die-hard LEdit (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

Jacob, Will .mpd accept more than 8 characters? I don't use it much, but I was under the impression that we had to keep that in the 8+3 format as well. Please let me know As soon as possible so I can make any necessary changes to the standards. (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw.org Meeting in New York City, Sun Feb 11

(...) I used to feel the same way. Then someone pushed to form MichLUG. So things are a little better now, in Michigan. A state-wide MichLUG is still too spread out to be practical for frequent activity, but it's good for doing things a few times (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny)

  Re: Official model repository situation

Heather: (...) I think it would help a bit. That way you are spared the time to look for the pieces. Jacob (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) as (...) to (...) drive (...) where (...) link (...) similar (...) Okay. Yeah, I forgot about the naming system in the annoucement. Cheers, --Ryan (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) news:G8t1yJ.1HG@lugnet.com... (...) Sounds good to me! Inlining an MPD for this purpose is not a problem - I've managed to convert inventories from all kinds of weird formats, and was figuring on the conversion being done by hand anyway, to (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

Ryan: (...) Please use four-digit numbers for years. I know that we will not get in serious trouble for the first forty or so years, but... Play well, Jacob (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) Erik, I'll be posting the OMR Standards tonight. I was going to last night, but I had forgotten to add some things. This was my original idea, but we are actually not going to be using a number format except for the .mpd file which will be (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Erik Olson" <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:G8u2Hw.H67@lugnet.com... (...) Hmm...not a bad idea. In fact, it might be in the original standard post. I'm just too tired. Oog. -Tim (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

Hey, I thought someone had used filenames that start with M for an official model? Besides, it's annoying to get filenames that resemble part names... m6040.dat is so obviously a model, not a part, that there won't be confusion when it's saved on (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Heather Patey" <hpatey@nfld.com> wrote in message news:G8t1yJ.1HG@lugnet.com... (...) generate (...) Hi Heather - Good idea! Yes, MLCad can put out an inventory (and I think LeoCAD can too). So, instead of looking up a set to inventory it, make a (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Ryan Farrington" <ryanjf@ifriendly.com> wrote in message news:001401c0975c$38...dly.com... (...) Umm... Here are my thoughts. Given the standard header/hard drive storage system as posted at: (URL) say we index them by set number only. This will be (...) (24 years ago, 16-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

This is just a quick message to let you know that either later today or tomorrow I will be posting the information for the OMR, ie the headers, what to do about missing pieces, etc. I just need to type it up and have Tim edit to make sure everything (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) Hi CAD gang, Just poking my nose in from the inventory group next door. ML-CAD can generate a parts list from any DAT file, so the Repository could perhaps be a great source for inventories. Could I suggest that anyone making official models, (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

(...) to (...) thinking (...) a (...) into (...) at (...) Well, I was going to model most/all of my sets for the Repository...and I have some ideas for the directory structure... Tim Courtney wrote: (...) I would say regarding organizing them for (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw.org Meeting in New York City, Sun Feb 11

man all the good stuff happens in NYC, California and Orlando poor me in North VA never around anything (...) (24 years ago, 15-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny)

"Ryan Dennett" <rdennett@firehousemail.com> wrote in message news:G8rBuw.6Fz@lugnet.com... (...) Yeah kinda funny. Sheesh...I spent about an hour and a half in a car with you, and another hour and a half at a restaurant. ;-) (...) Very little, but (...) (24 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Official model repository situation

You, know, it's funny that you asked this, Ryan, because I meant to talk to Tim about it last night, but totally forgot. On the way home I was thinking about LDraw stuff when I remembered the OMR. I was getting ready to write a message to Tim, when (...) (24 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Ryan Farrington" <ryanjf@ifriendly.com> wrote in message news:002f01c0968d$95...dly.com... (...) We're working on it :-) I did discuss this with Leonardo this weekend, and that's pretty low priority right now compared to other more important things (...) (24 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Official model repository situation

It's been some time since the Official Model Repository has been mentioned. What is the status of it? Regards, --Ryan (24 years ago, 14-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: NDAs

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:25:48 -0700, Tim Courtney wrote (in message <G8oHEz.Fp9@lugnet.com>): (...) Uh, I'd personally be up for something this summer maybe? (Time to plan, time to save, time to BUILD) I don't know how much I'd have to offer the (...) (24 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: NDAs

Whoops, I set my followups and crossposts wrong. Anyways, I glossed over that Erik mentioned Brickfest, good idea. We'll have to wait for brickfest plans... (FYI that's in Washington DC) Tom suggested IRC/ICQ, and that came up last night at dinner (...) (24 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Small link error in Ldraw.org

"Manfred Moolhuysen" <moom@nospamchello.nl> wrote in message news:G8ntLx.2Kq@lugnet.com... (...) Fixed. Thanks again Manfred. -Tim (24 years ago, 13-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Greetings from the CAD Summit!

(...) Oh dear, the names are lowercase and run together. It's: Fleming*, Lars, Michael, Tomas*. Leo, Olga*, Erik, Steve. Tim, Rene*, Fleming*. * = LEGO employees. That's Tomas Clark from LEGO Direct, New York. I don't remember all their last names, (...) (24 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

"Manfred Moolhuysen" <moom@nospamchello.nl> wrote in message news:G8ntLx.2Kq@lugnet.com... (...) Ok, thanks! I'll try to get to it soon. -Tim (24 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Small link error in Ldraw.org

Hello Tim, I would like to bring to your attention that there is a a minor link error on the homepage (URL) the link to "LDraw.org Help Desk" is correct, the red arrow just in front of it still links to the "MLCAD Resources incorporate with (...) (24 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Greetings from the CAD Summit!

(...) But the difference is, they were old enough that their parent's shouldn't have let them out of the house. Steve (24 years ago, 12-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Greetings from the CAD Summit!

(...) Well, we can't say much now, but we will be addressing what to announce to the public in the future. I believe all announcements about what we discussed will be put out by LEGO Direct on their timing. But I will take that up with them as soon (...) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Greetings from the CAD Summit!

(...) Me too ! What's the Catch? Rui Martins (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Greetings from the CAD Summit!

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:59:56 -0700, Tim Courtney wrote (in message <G8KzFw.ALI@lugnet.com>): <snip> (...) Okay, I am now officially chomping at the bit. Arghh! What's cookin'? Ben (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Greetings from the CAD Summit!

(...) LOL... They were some kids having a surprise party who happened to get a table right behind us. Very loud...and we ran into them at the bar after as well. (then again who am I to talk, I'm just a kid too...or so they say) Here at the office in (...) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

Mike Walsh <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:G8LCx2.4Ip@lugnet.com... (...) I was hopeing someone would ask, I didn't want to be nosey:) Gary (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

"Erik Olson" <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:G8Kzq0.BAu@lugnet.com... (...) What was going on behind your table? (URL) Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring dot com (URL) - North Carolina LEGO Users Group (URL) - Carolina Train Builders (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Greetings from the CAD Summit!

Here are 3 photos. You can identify the LCAD personalities from left to right by the picture filenames on Brickshelf. (URL) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Greetings from the CAD Summit!

Hey everybody - This is just a quick hello note from NYC after the first day of the CAD summit at LEGO Direct. Our group just got done with a very full day of meetings, discussions, brainstorming, and food. :-) Its been a lot of fun so far and very (...) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.lego.direct) !

  Re: LDraw.org Meeting in New York City, Sun Feb 11

(...) ^^^^ Um, wow I was tired :^) That should be 'cafe' not 'face.' -Tim (24 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny)

  LDraw.org Meeting in New York City, Sun Feb 11

In case you are interested, there is a semi-formal LDraw.org meeting this Sunday in New York City. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the formation of the LDraw.org organization, collaborative software efforts among contributors, future (...) (24 years ago, 8-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.loc.us.ny.ny, lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.pa) !

  LCAD for Risc-OS (was LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Alex Farlie writes: [snip - lots of stuff] (...) Ldglite is distributed as C source code and requires either OpenGL or Mesa. There is information on Mesa for Risc-OS here: (URL) should be similar to the "ldglite for (...) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) OK but you would need at least a chairman or tresuarer... Also .. "Politics is often about the 'details' " ;-) Quote from a UK MP but cant remember which one.. (...) OK Point taken- Looking at your list it seems you have more of a software (...) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) Echoing and amplifying a bit on Tim's response: Forming an official ldraw.org, and adopting a licensing policy, and establishing a fully automatic Parts Tracker will all directly lead to more parts being authored. Heck, I'd be doing more parts (...) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

(...) I think that an installer program would be better, I for one dont like windows scripting host/vbscript, mostly because it has more security holes than a piece of swiss cheese :) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

(...) Serve or sever? I think that was a typo up there :) I honestly don't think a formal org will do either. It will be a way to bring together LCAD people in a more organized/official capacity, and the people involved in the government of the org (...) (24 years ago, 7-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

I think the idea of a formal organization is really good, provided that it does server it's constituants. I think this is a good start and I encourage you to continue. I agree on the problem of installing/getting all of the necessary tools running. (...) (24 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) We haven't gotten that specific, yet. We're thinking along the lines of a 'town council' approach, where the elected officers are equal peers (as opposed to having offices of president, vice president, etc). As I mentioned before, we're (...) (24 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) Plus the fact an informal group would have difficulty enforcing such a licence agrement... Even the FSF (ie GNU's managment group) is an 'organisation'. (...) Yes. Agree (...) What model where you thinking of using? (...) Not Todd ? (...) (...) (24 years ago, 6-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Let's Do It

(...) Much appreciated -- it pays bills better than majoring in history would have. (...) I'm ready -- just tell me where to go to get started and a list of specific essays, opening paragraphs, descriptions you want. Since I am not an HTML expert I (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Burkhard Schloemer" <BuS1503@muenster.de> wrote in message news:G8B1DI.DBo@lugnet.com... (...) possible. Hi Burkhard - There will always be parts authors and official additions as long as there is a desire to create new parts. We're just laying (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

Do whatever you want, but please return to creating new parts. Except for a couple of decorated elements there wasn't much new worth mentioning in the past weeks. Thanks to all who spend time for creating DAT-parts, making my "work" possible. Primus (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Excellent Discussion, Well Met

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:G8ALC8.CMF@lugnet.com... (...) Well put Lar. Pat - since you are experienced in technical writing, how would you like to help the site in the area of Reference and Get Started? We (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Excellent Discussion, Well Met

(...) I have no official standing to delegate anything but if someone doesn't jump up and latch on to you I will be very surprised, as there are a number of areas within the site and elsewhere, where either word smithing, or worse, out and out (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Excellent Discussion, Well Met

When I wrote the original reply to the proposal last Friday, I knew what I was letting myself in for and braced very hard this morning for the onslaught of Pandora's Box. However, after reading every followup in the thread, I must say that I am (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw MOTM winner for February 2001

(...) I just stuck them in as something motor-like. I didn't come up with any way to actually rig them. (...) Thanks! My .dat file looks pretty crummy, however. The models are worked out just enough for the scene, and they are pretty sketchy on the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 02:26:05AM +0000, Pat Hough wrote: First, I'd like to thank those who will be forming this group. The licenses are of course my biggest personal issue. So, thanks and good luck :) [snip] (...) Well, I am packaging leocad for (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

Tim and Steve answered a lot, I will try to fill in a few additional items and additional perspective. (...) While this is a laudable goal, it is not the first goal of the group. The first goal of the group is to solve some specific problems around (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

Hi Pat - I will attempt to expound upon our ideas and answer your questions below. (revisit.... Steve beat me! Well, I'll take out what I feel Steve addressed well enough and add comments where I want to be a blabbermouth) ;-) "Pat Hough" (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

(...) OK. Actually, there has been a good bit of discussion around these topics. But it would be a good idea to address them again. I'm going to snip/quote your message pretty heavily (and respond to things out of order). Y'all can assume that (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Sounds good, however... (from an LDRAW neophyte)

FORWARD: Please accept my comments in the civil spirit in which they were intended, and not an attempt to start some sort of conflict. I asked some very tough questions because the proposal seemed to advocate it. This is also a somewhat long (...) (24 years ago, 3-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

(...) Yes! -Chuck (24 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  LCAD/LDraw.org Formal Organization

There's been occasional discussion about formalizing the LEGO-style CAD fan organization. Although an informal organization usually serves us pretty well, there are some things an informal group can not do, such as deal well with keeping a treasury, (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce) !!

  Re: LDraw MOTM winner for February 2001

(...) Amnon, First of all congatulations! I have a couple of questions about your model: 1. Are the 9V motors in it functional or did you use them solely for easthetic purpose? 2. I really like the hot-rod cars and would like to build one. Any (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw MOTM winner for February 2001

(...) hmm. nice scene.. old school soap box derby type! not the hot rods oftoday. i like how amnon used PSP to blur makin the affect of smoke. along time ago when we had datsville i had a image in my head of an early morning with fog of a train (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: LDraw MOTM winner for February 2001

Thank you very much everyone! When I saw the models this month, I was worried I wouldn't have much of a chance, but I am glad to have been chosen. There were a few models especially that I told my wife I would not feel bad to lose out to, since they (...) (24 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

"Terry K" <legoverse@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:G83G7n.Mw8@lugnet.com... (...) Only because we voted for different models ;-) No recount needed, I see :D (...) *groan* (...) Welp, that's the one I voted for. I couldn't bring myself to vote for (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  LDraw MOTM winner for February 2001

Wow, This was a *close* one. Tim, biting his nails over the outcome, has been needling me to count the votes and resolve which one is the winner. He will be happy to know that this months winner is Amnon Silverstein and his scene "Hot Rod Race". (...) (24 years ago, 1-Feb-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Ideas for Ldraw readme?

i am beginning to make my own Ldraw CD,so if i ever need to reinstall i have it there, but i need an Idea on a readme file for the cd, if the cd idea is ever done, cause i already have a basic install and Uninstall cd it has: L3lab, L3p, Ldlite, and (...) (24 years ago, 29-Jan-01, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact