Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:29:54 GMT

"Ryan Farrington" <ryanjf@ifriendly.com> wrote in message
news:001401c0975c$384e12c0$7c063e3f@ifriendly.com...
Tim Courtney wrote:
Page generation, searchability, and indexing are issues.  By theme?
Set number? Name?  Or all of the above (and how)?

I would say regarding organizing them for indexing, by theme then group
(sub-theme) then set name would be the most efficient method (especially for
people looking for a specific set).  And if it makes sense to do so, we
could have a sub-domain for all the official sets: models.ldraw.org.  So you
go to the OMR at http://www.ldraw.org/repository/official/ and you can
choose your theme, which would link to something like
http://models.ldraw.org/castle/.  Then you could choose the sub-theme,
http://models.ldraw.org/castle/forestmen/, where there would be thumbnails
(either LDrawn or POV-Rayed) of all the Forestmen sets.

Thoughts?  (and I understand the not-so-urgent status of this, so...no need
to rush replies, I think)
--Ryan

Umm...

Here are my thoughts.  Given the standard header/hard drive storage system as
posted at:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=251

I say we index them by set number only.  This will be the easiest, IMO.  A
person can search for the set by theme/name on LUGNET
(http://guide.lugnet.com/set/) and then key in the set number on LDraw.org to
download the DAT.  I feel that way because they're to be stored on a hard drive
in a directory with the set number...so why not index them that way?  No where
in the file naming system does it acknowledge the set name.  LUGNET can link
directly to the DAT file on LDraw.org so it can be downloaded too (much similar
to how it points to Brickshelf instructions).

Brickshelf splits the index into numbers, last time I saw.  Eg.

/6000/6XXX/

So, 6195 Neptune Discovery Lab would be at

http://www.ldraw.org/repository/official/6000/6195.mpd
(no need for a redundant directory when the MPD name is the number)

or

http://models.ldraw.org/sets/6000/6195.mpd

Thoughts?

-Tim