Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:59:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, "Ryan Dennett" <rdennett@firehousemail.com>
writes:
[...]
If 8+3 format is not a problem for the newer programs or if the .mpds have
to be split manually anyway, then I'd suggest using XXXXM-YYYY as the
filename; XXXX being the set number, M being the optional modifier, and YYYY
being the four digit year of production.

Ya, I totally agree on an (optional or maybe not optional) M part -- it's
incredibly is helpful for sets with the same number that also came out in
the same year -- for example 1974 Star Quest, 1974 Smuggler's Hayride, and
1974 Flyer Cracker U.S.A. -- all came out in 1989 in a single value pack
also numbered 1974.

LUGNET's sets DB at <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/> basically does something
similar to the M thing, where it optionally puts a "_1" or "_2" after the
set number.  It's not pretty but it works out OK.

We could also add OMR- as a prefix.
I personally have no preference over either of these.
Ideas? Questions? Comments?

Seems kinda redundant to have in the filename on every file...

--Todd