Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:32:02 GMT

"Heather Patey" <hpatey@nfld.com> wrote in message news:G8t1yJ.1HG@lugnet.com...

Just poking my nose in from the inventory group next door.  ML-CAD can • generate
a parts list from any DAT file, so the Repository could perhaps be a great
source for inventories.  Could I suggest that anyone making official models,
include comments about parts that are changed or left out because the proper
parts aren't created yet, or other differences like printing?  There are a lot
of sets not yet inventoried - Space is very bare indeed - and if people are
making accurate models, then an inventory wouldn't need to be done separately.
Probably links could be set up to include the Repository in the collection of
linked databases existing in and around LUGNET, as well.  What do you think?

Hi Heather -
Good idea!  Yes, MLCad can put out an inventory (and I think LeoCAD can too).
So, instead of looking up a set to inventory it, make a DAT file and then output
it.  The only issue would be almost all of them are going to be MPDs, or
Multi-Part DAT files.  This means you may have to output the inventory of a few
submodels...unless MLCad can handle inventory of the whole contents of an MPD.

Anyways... if this helps, more power to ya! :)

-Tim