Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 14:43:02 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:

Here are my thoughts.  Given the standard header/hard drive storage system • as
posted at:

http://news.lugnet.com/announce/?n=251

I say we index them by set number only.  This will be the easiest, IMO.  A
person can search for the set by theme/name on LUGNET
(http://guide.lugnet.com/set/) and then key in the set number on LDraw.org • to
download the DAT.  I feel that way because they're to be stored on a hard • drive
in a directory with the set number...so why not index them that way?  No • where
in the file naming system does it acknowledge the set name.  LUGNET can • link
directly to the DAT file on LDraw.org so it can be downloaded too (much • similar
to how it points to Brickshelf instructions).

Brickshelf splits the index into numbers, last time I saw.  Eg.

/6000/6XXX/

So, 6195 Neptune Discovery Lab would be at

http://www.ldraw.org/repository/official/6000/6195.mpd
(no need for a redundant directory when the MPD name is the number)

or

http://models.ldraw.org/sets/6000/6195.mpd

Thoughts?

-Tim

Okay. Yeah, I forgot about the naming system in the annoucement.

Cheers,
--Ryan