Re: Official model repository situation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 14:49:05 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ryan Farrington writes:
Should the OMR have a similar restriction?

What would that mean for Star Wars scenes?

I see the situation this way.  On set instructions, it may say (c)1999 LEGO
Group.  As many copyright disclaimers say something like this:

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system
or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical,
photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior permission of the
publisher.

In a way, making .dat files of official models is copying instructions, or
rather the idea behind the printed matter, namely, "this is how you build
this model."  Though technically, instructions from decades ago may still be
under copyright, there probably is no way to really obtain the "permission
of the publisher," to learn how to build the sets.  Therefore, I see no harm
in distributing "How To Build This Model" (whether by means of scanned
instructions or in the form of .dat files) for sets no longer sold by the
Lego company.

Conversely, since instructions are in print for newer Lego models, I believe
distributing "How To Build This Model" would be a violation of copyright
law, and would not be considered fair play.  Assuming someone has enough
pieces, one may download the .dat file for a set and build it out of his own
bricks, and the Lego Company would not get money for it.

Therefore I propose that the Official Model Repository contain files of only
those sets that are not sold by the Lego company any more, and not those
sets which are currently being sold.  And yes, even the Star Wars sets,
though I would like to know the details of them.  ;-)

Thoughts?
--Ryan

ryanjf@ifriendly.com
http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/home.htm